Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ribbed Newt poison question

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few ribbed newts that are now starting to mate. Usually I never handle them. But I want to pick them up and see what sex they are. My question is, has anyone ever been injured (by their ribs/poison) by handling their pets? Their ribs are so noticable I was just wondering whether I would be paralyzed, or worse, late for work.
Also, why aren't they more popular? They are SO cool.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Dawn, i do not have information on how poisonous they are, but i can say that as long as you don´t grab them roughly around their body, the ribs won´t protrude. If you simply pick them up by putting your hand under their belly, you will not stress them enough to secrete poison either. Obviously it´s always a good idea to clean your hands afterwards as we all know but i don´t think handling them is risky....

Dave1812

Reaction score
Like azhael says if you are gentle there should be no issues. Going of the research I have done from the internet it is very rare that a captive breed P. Waltl will use its ribs.
Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
xDDDDDDDDD
"if you are genital" xDDD God, that made my day.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
if you are genital

I know *tee hee* but after all, I was checking to see what sex they are.
My concern was mostly because I don't handle them really at all, compared to, say, my T. verrucosus, who get handled once every week or two.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You could pick them up gently, and place them ina transparent container, so that you can take a good look to their cloacas, without disturbing them or handling them in the process. Even if you seldomly handle them i really doubt they would get that stressed.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've handled hundreds of ribbed newts and never had a problem. The guy I got mt first ribbed newts from squeezed one to hard. He said it felt like his hand was poked with something hot. His hand was sore for about 1 week. I don't think he sought medical treatment.

Jake

Reaction score
My adults get handled once every month or two. Every time I pick certain individuals up they'll extend their ribs, but they've never punctured the newts' skin (that I've seen).

I wish I could tell you why they aren't more popular. They're more forgiving than other species when it comes to water quality and temperature, and they always want to eat!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think they're not more popular because... frankly, they're unattractive. They seriously look like someone stepped on them. They're not colorful. But they've got amazing personalities!

Dave1812

Reaction score
They remind me of a camouflaged clown, they are always on the move - looking for mischief and they do have great personalities.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´ve lately started to really like Pleurodeles, even though i agree they look like someone run over them. I can see (and hope) this species competing great against the usual WC petshop animals....well not in Spain though xD
It would be such great news if they became the primary target for the common market...

beefsteak

Reaction score
I find it realy easy to tell the diference between male and female S.R.Ns. The males have long arms with what look like bisepts, smaller flatter heads and are more collorful. Females get much bulkier and are less colorful. I also realy love these guys. Easy to keep! Allways out moving around or just hanging in the plants looking happy. I find them to be beutiflly colored. Someone saw mine recently and said they look like little marlyn brandos. And ya, love to eat.

Dave1812

Reaction score
Whilst the topic of easy sexing of P.Waltl I have a few questions
At what age/size are they sexually mature - mine are currently just under 5 inch
Has anyone seen a P. Waltl with what looks like a barb coming from what would be its "little finger" I've looked on the internet and in books but can not find a reference to it. Is it a indicator of its sex?

DSC00067.jpg

Neuter

Reaction score
What happened to his claw? Poor little guy looks like he is missing a chunk of flesh on his left, front foot, the second claw from his right.

Dave1812

Reaction score
What happened to his claw? Poor little guy looks like he is missing a chunk of flesh on his left, front foot, the second claw from his right.
That's how it came to me, it hasn't affected it in any way.
Are you saying that its a male, and any ideas on the barbs?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those barbs are cool. I checked mine; they don't have them. One of them looks like it might have a little nub where that might be, but it might just be my imagination.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1