Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

peterrobbo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have lurked on this site for a while so I thought it was time to introduce myself. I have been interested in newts since I was a child and could always be found at the side of a pond catching frogs and common newts. Now that I am grown up I still find myself looking at ponds wondering what it may contain ! I have observed some common newts and palmate newts in a local pond.
At the moment I keep marbled newts, italian crested newts and have just bought some young alpine newts off Rigsby.
I would really like to aquire the following, more alpine newts, banded newts, fire salamanders (various subspecies) and the spectacularly coloured newts from iran ( cannot remember the name). Also after common lizards & eyed lizards.
Anyway thats me, if anyone can help me get the species mentioned please contact me.

Peter

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Hey Peter,
I'd like to formally welcome you to the forum although you were a member long before I was. A year and a half huh, you weren't kidding when you said you've been lurking for awhile.:D Is it the Neurergus kaiseri newt that is the Iranian one your thinking of?

Dave1812

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the the forum - it seems to me that you have a plan to keep yourself busy!!
If you still look and wonder at ponds, and have some free time ;) then why not find out whats in there and help the NARRS for 2009
I've put a link if you want to have a look at whats involved. The site will be updated for the 2009 project before Christmas, so I'm told. All the best and enjoy the forum!

http://www.narrs.org.uk/

peterrobbo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
thanks for the quick replys. I was a member of the forum a while ago, but my laptop died and I couldn't remember any login details. So I re-registered. The iranian species I am after is Neurergus kaiseri (absolutely stunning newt). I will check out the NARRs website and see what I can do. In this area we have palmate newts, smooth newts, common frog and toads. The palmates and toads are the most common. I have had difficulty getting the species I want so I am thinking of going to some of the herp shows in europe (like Hamm) next year, has anyone had any experiance of these shows ?

Peter

Nathan050793

Reaction score
N.kaiseri is not exactly a beginner species, so unfortunately, they may be pretty hard (or expensive) for you to obtain...

Anyway, Welcome back! It's certainly nice to have you.:D

peterrobbo

Reaction score
Quite right Nathan they are expensive and a challenge to keep, so buying them could be a fruitless and expensive mistake, thats assuming I ever find any. Despite them having different requirements from other caudates I have kept/keep, they appear to have similar requirements to some riverine fish I have kept & bred. I hope my past experiences will help if I am lucky enough to get some.

Peter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1