Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One Axolotl Biting the Other

brella

Reaction score
I have two axolotls in a 29 gallon tank. I've had them for about 5 months. I've noticed that one of them had a few very tiny pieces missing from its tail. I figured that the other one was biting it occasionally if they came in contact. However, I didn't think much of it because he seemed fine. Over the past few weeks, the bite marks have increased in size. There is also a red circular mark at the end of his tail (blood?). The one that is getting bit is not very active and he mostly just hangs out on the bottom of the tank. The one that has been doing the biting is really active and a "begger". Anytime anyone goes near the tank he swims right up to the side and snaps for food. He snaps for food so often that he will sometimes get a hold of the plants in the tank thinking its food. I usually feed them one frozen block of blood worms each every other day. I've increased this to one EVERY day.
So I have a few questions...
Was this happening because I wasn't feeding them enough?
Why is the aggressive axolotl snapping at everything and being so hyper?
What can I do to stop this abuse?

Thanks

kira

Reaction score
It is possible that you weren't feeding them enough. Perhaps the more aggressive axie needs more food. At feeding time, try feeding until both stop eating.

They might also be too cramped in the tank you have or maybe they might need more hides.

Personally, I would seperate them, but thats up to you.

Good Luck

paullism

Reaction score
Hi Brella

A couple of things first......

How old are your axolotls ? If you don't know, tell us how long they are. young ones can be a bit snap happy.

Can you post some pitcutres of your axolotls and your tank setup, this will also help in deciding the best measures to take

Thanks

brella

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.

My axolotls are about 5 inches long at least. I've had them for 5 months and they were "babies" when I got them...I'm not really sure how old they are.

I've attached the pictures of my set up. The albino is the one that keeps getting attacked.
The photo with the arrows shows the "red dot" at the end of his tail and the bite mark on the top of his tail.

I fed them more tonight than usual...hopefully that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,818
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,821
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,394

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brella,

If I may, I would suggest a couple more hides in the tank. A general guide is to have at least two hides per axolotl to give them a choice. Having more hides allows the axolotls to spend 'time out' from one another.

If the wildtype is a naturally dominant and aggressive type of axolotl though, even having hides is not going to change his nature - if he comes upon the albino he will probably nip at him just for the hell of it. I agree with Kira and think they should be seperated as he has all the earmarks of being a little bully. :happy:

Axolotls are opportunistic feeders. They will eat, and eat, and eat as long as food is incoming. Giving more food will not likely change the axolotls nature or make him any less agro when the food enters the tank - he will just get very fat - unfortunately fat axolotls can move just as quickly as leaner ones.

Some axolotls just don't get along with others. I've had to shuffle tanks in the past due to um 'personality conflicts'.

It looks a lovely big tank though, have you considered a tank divider? This will ensure they are both in the same tank, but cannot attack one another.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1