Newt Identification

Ranid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, a while ago I purchased 2 newts that I thought were Chinese fire bellied newts (the label was in German so I don't know what the English one would be). And the research I found I thought that the pictures just made the actual fire bellied newts look small.

Well the other day in a different pet store I saw newts that look just like the fire bellied newts I see online, whereas the ones I have only resemble them.

The ones I have seem to be mainly aquatic (they don't have gills but they have paddle-tails and never went out of the water), and they're about 4 inches long, and normal ones seem to be considerably smaller than that. They're black with the orange-mottled pattern on their bellied (not extending to their tails). I tried looking more closely at the Latin name at the store but they have since taken them off stock, don't know why though, they're simply delightful!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back