Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi

Rae56

Reaction score
I've just joined ,as this site looks so helpful which is what I need at the moment. Axolotils are my love but they don't seem to love me,I had one 2 yrs ago ,he lived for 16 days ate hardly anything.My hubbie & I have just been given 2 ,1 black ,1 yellow for our b/days.1 gone already.I have been giving them frozen beef heart,froz bloodworms & there were 2 guppies in he tank ,1 now.I presume someone ate one.I am going out to buy Bettyboop who is yellow with pink on her a partner .I seem to be having trouble with the temp,which I believe to be sooo important.What is the ideal temp for them & without going out & buying a chiller ,how do I go about it.I don't want to keep on loosing these fellows as they are so cute.& funny some times.I'm open to all those with tips out there.
Thanks Rae.:confused:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rae,

The optimum temperature for axolotls is between 14C and 18C. The axolotls can tolerate the temperture up to 24C as long as the water quality is good. If the temperature climbs above 24C, the axolotl will be in trouble. Helpful tank cooling tactics can be found in this article here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Water quality is most important to an axolotl's health.

All the information for the care of your new friends can be found here: http://www.axolotl.org/

Frozen beef and feeder fish are not a suitable staple for axolotls. Have you considered feeding earthworm? Earthworm has all the nutrients an axolotl needs in one wriggling package.

Any new live addition to the aquarium, whether it be feeder fish or another axolotl must be quarantined for 30 days before being introduced into the tank to prevent possible disease being transmitted to your axolotl/s.

If you have any questions, please feel free to join us in the forum section. This section you have posted in is the introductions section and is not frequented as often as the forum section. You will receive a faster response to your queries if you post to the forum.

Welcome aboard! :happy:

Cheers Jacq.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1