Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

found spotted sal

xenopus

Reaction score
Hi everyone I found a yellow spotted salamander in my neighbors dog's waterpan, he said he was surprised his dog hadn't eaten it yet:errr: so he's now in a ten gallon of mine with coco fiber and a bowl of water he can sit in if he wants to,He's about 3 to 3 and a half inches long. and ive got two small wax worms in with him and two small roly polys as well. I want to let him go in "steele creek park". I think he'll be ok there. you can do a search on it, they have a web site. but I want to know how I can make things easiest on him to survive, like what time of day should I relese him? and should I wait for certain weather? like maybe rain or warmth (as warm as it gets here in the winter) it was 60 the other day when we found him its been rainy and relativly warm. from what I know about them now he was probably trying to get to a creek and mate but where he was there were houses and roads and fields for quite a ways. steele creek park has big forested areas and lots of creeks running out of the big body of water thats there. anyways any comments would be appreciated steele creek is in bristol tennessee for weather concerns. thanks :cool:

rust

Reaction score
Here's probably what you've found:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_maculatum.shtml

They're actually terrestrial, who knows why he climbed in the bowl. With the cold front that just passed through, I'd wait until about Wednesday to let him go at the park. When you do, just find a nice large rotten log and place it at the edge so it can crawl (tunnel) under it. It should be fine.

xenopus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply:D ill plan on wednesday then. Do you think it would be better to let him go in the mourning so he'll have time to find somewhere safe before night or later in the evening because there nocturnal anyways? or does it even matter :eek: lol im sure ill be able to put him near a big log out there and he would probably be pretty much at home wherever i put him but thanks again for the reply

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!