Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can I do this safely?

lisa1984

Reaction score
I currently have a 55 gallon tank for 3 small goldfish and a 3 1/2 inch painted turtle... it seems like a waste to have all that space for just that little bit of animal so i wanted to combine on one side of the tank the fish and the turtle, then get a tank seperator and put my two tiger salamanders on the other side. I am worried that the salamanders waste will hurt eithier the fish or the turtle. I have seperate filters for both sides of the tank. What do you guys think? Thanks. Lisa

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Adult tiger salamanders are terrestrial. They will drown in a full aquarium. Juvenile tiger salamanders will morph within a few months, so its best to have them in their own tank in order to properly transition them to terrestrial adults.

Neuter

Reaction score
It took about a week and a half for them to get used to it, but I really recommend regular worms, small ones, any bait shop should sell them, they call them "wigglers" around here. Cut them in half, or in thirds, and hold them near their mouths with a tweezer. It took a little time for my fire bellies to learn they were food but now they GOBBLE them down, feeding is very, very simple and quick.

I would really recommend feeding them live earthworms if you can stomach it. I thought cutting them up would be too gross for me but it really did not bother me at all.

Keep in mind however you feed them and whatever you feed them, they have pretty poor eyesight but they mostly identify food by movement.

spendday

Reaction score
Adult tiger salamanders are terrestrial. They will drown in a full aquarium. Juvenile tiger salamanders will morph within a few months, so its best to have them in their own tank in order to properly transition them to terrestrial adults.

what she said.

also I wouldn’t even keep an highly/aquatic species in a tank with a separator for 3 reasons

1. Temperature, painted turtles need a warm water temperature while salamanders and newts like it cool
2.Pathogen, bacterial, parasitic transfer
3. waste issues, both turtles and salamanders produce a lot of waste and this could affect water quality

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more reason: your painted turtle is going to grow quickly. It will need the full size of that tank very soon. I don't think you have any "wasted space" at all. Enjoy your turtle; it will make a fine pet for many, many years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1