Photo: NewT inside HOF. with photos.

eFaN

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Display Name
EsFuAeN
just got home the other day and was shocked to find that my newt was not inside his temporary tank! ive already secured the tank top tightly with a net . so i stripped the tank bare and check every corner of my room (hoping my cat have not gotten him first). wen finally i check my hang on filter (the last place i could think of) , it was there..

hide2.jpg

zooom.
Hide.jpg

i put him back into the tank and observed him and this is what i saw..

escapetry.jpg

anyone encountered this before? thinking of stuffing something into the mouth of the waterfall. i have since moved him into a larger tank and hoping this will not happen again haha.

Weird....Ô_o
I don´t really know if those filters have something inside that could harm the newt, but i´d really advice you to remove the filter if it triggers this kind of behaviour...
Also i´m unsure why the newt might be seeking to go up there...probably enjoying the current, but it could also mean it´s the only way the newt can find to scpe the tank, which means there´s something wrong...you should probably check just to discard the possibility.

By the way, you´ve got a good hand with cameras ;)

Yes, I'll bet he's playing in the current. I've had newts do that, and also, play in the air bubbles from the bubbler.

you could also stuff some filter material in the output so he can't climb in there anymore. It doesn't look like a place where he could harm himself though.

wow your photos are so clear and crisp what equipment did you use...?:eek:
also on the problem i think hang on the back filters are too much of a pain to newt proof your better of with an internal canister or an external canister.

That tank looks REALLY small. How big is it?

I suspect he's trying to get to fresh water by heading upstream.

im with kaysie , that tank is WAY too small for that lovely newt !

yep tank is way to0 small for em. thats just temporary though. now in 10 gallon =)

10gallons is more like it. All newts enjoy having a lot of space to swim :)
By the way, please check your private messages, you need to specify a complete name and a nationality.
Cheers.

yeap . that boy seems much happier now haha.

uh oh didnt notice i had private messages! haha alrite ive already updated it.

Cheers!

Thanx for modifying your profile :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back