Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra salamandra (czech republic, 2008)

Quetzacoatl

Reaction score
Hello, there are some photos from our trip to the woods in october. We were looking for some salamanders and finally we found over 50 specimens! We were surprised, that there was so big population of salamandra salamandra salamandra. Enjoy the photos. :cool:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely!!! I bet you had an amazing time :)
There´s some interesting patterning in the coloration of those animals, the variability of this species is amazing.
Thank you for sharing, it´s a pleasure to see field reports.

PD: It´s fascinating to see how temperate european forests have a pretty homogenous wildlife(specially when it comes to plants).

benw

Reaction score
Lovely photos.

Always good to see Salamandra (or indeed any animal) in their natural envoironment, and encouraging that you saw a good few specimens.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ben

marco

Reaction score
Very nice photos, and equally useful habitat shots. Some of those S.S.Salamandra's looked quite similar in body shape to the Algerian salamanders, elongated bodies and slender faces.

** By the way, the last shot of the larvae, going off comparison with its surroundings it looked like it was a good few inches? if I'm wrong never mind but if it was a few inches like it looks do wild populations have Neotenic tendencies?

And the shot with the adult partially submerged in the water, was that one giving birth or was it just exiting the water?

Quetzacoatl

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the comments:happy:

Marco: That larvae was about 5 cm long and I think that some larvaes in this area will morph in this spring. And the salamander near the water was just exiting his environment, because it was male :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1