Question: Condensation

kira

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Kira
I use ice bottles in my tanks to keep the temperature down. As a result, I get a lot of condensation around the outside :violent: of my tanks and it's so bad that I can't see my axies inside.:(

Does any one have any ideas on how to prevent the condensation or at least, stop it from being quite so bad??????? :confused:

Any ideas would be GREAT thanks.

It's going to occur anytime there is a temperature differential and moisture in the air. The absolute way to fix it would be to air condition the room to where you don't have to use the ice bottles. Of course that isn't very cost effective either. You might try a fan blowing across the front of the tank.

I have a dehumidifier running constantly -- takes the moisture out of the air so in my case it can't condense on the walls and start to grow mould. It's very efficient, and doesn't use a huge amount of power.

Hey Kira

Unfortunately it is part and parcel of the terrority we live in. To explain it in a simple form. condensation occurs where moist air comes into contact with air, or a surface, which is at a lower temperature.

This will always occur, more often in the spring and summer, the only way to avoid it is to reduce the temperature of the room that you have your axolotls in.

I have the same problem with my chiller running on a warm sydney summer's day. I do not have a miracle cure for stopping the condensation, but i have a little trick up my sleeve which might work for you a bit.

What i did with my tank was to use a clear cling wrap (the type you cover you food in for microwave), and just simply cling wrap the external glass surface of the tank. I would ensure that the tank glass surface is wiped clean and dry with a paper towel first and then cling wrap. For some reason, there is less condensation forming on the suface of the cling wrap, perhaps due to the texture or material. It allows me to still view my axolotls in their cool comfort.

I have the same problem with my chiller running on a warm sydney summer's day. I do not have a miracle cure for stopping the condensation, but i have a little trick up my sleeve which might work for you a bit.

What i did with my tank was to use a clear cling wrap (the type you cover you food in for microwave), and just simply cling wrap the external glass surface of the tank. I would ensure that the tank glass surface is wiped clean and dry with a paper towel first and then cling wrap. For some reason, there is less condensation forming on the suface of the cling wrap, perhaps due to the texture or material. It allows me to still view my axolotls in their cool comfort.

That is brillant!!!!!!!! ta:D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back