mine changed

Kitten

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I know she migh not be sick, but she changed very fast and i guess now i have a salamander
but the person who sold it said that this one shouldn't change (he had a lot more and bigger but they didn't changed, mine is very little but..) I checked the temperature and the water stuff too

by the way, i didn't took her out, she went out and i caugh her again (she has been doing this several times this week)
So, what should i do and what kind of place she should have to live happily forever?:confused:

Last edited:
Hi Kitten,

Can you post a picture of your pet? You'll get a fast identification that way. Once you know what kind of animal you have, you can know what kind of environment it requires.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way. :happy:

-Eva

Attachments

• Rawrx3-002.jpg
    Rawrx3-002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Rawrx3-0026.jpg
    Rawrx3-0026.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 188
Well I can't be too sure but it looks like Ambystoma velasci to me. I am sure someone else will pipe up for a more positive ID.

Looks like an Ambystoma tigrinum/mavortium that metamorphosed young to me...
Definitely not an axolotl that´s for sure....

Looks like an Ambystoma tigrinum/mavortium that metamorphosed young to me...
Definitely not an axolotl that´s for sure....

I talked to her in chat and she said it was collected near Puebla, Mexico. Do tigrinum or mavortium extend that far south?

It was just an opinion, judging by the olive colour and the fact that it´s metamorphosing...
I know nothing about distribution of american species, if you say it´s A.velasci you´re more likely to be right....

I was seriously wanting to know if they range that far south because the 2 options you listed would be more likely.

A quick search in google sugests that they do, at least tigrinum....the reliability of the sources could be poor though....

Edit: Just found out that A.velasci was formerly considered a subespecies of tigrinum.

And is the care for all of these species and/or subspecies similar? Or what is Kitten to do with her handsome new pet?

-Eva, overwhelmed by information

I looks to me like a barred. Could be, but I don't know how far down into northeastern Mexico their range extends let alone what the morphs look like in that area. Unfortunately, there is definitely a hole in the Internet's knowledge around Mexican herps. This reminded me of an old post that I made. You may find that website of interest. I'd love to see photos once his transformation is complete. Ambystoma velasci photos tend to have white spots or speckles, but maybe it takes some time to form. Good luck.

thankyou all for the help!
i'm starting to change her home and i'll take photos as soon as possible :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back