Could I use sand instead of gravel?

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
James here.I was just wondering if sand would help my axie (Doritoes) stop him from swallowing gravel?

What could I do if he swallowed some gravel?
My gravel is quite big!
How would I remove the gravel/stone from him?

Thanks
James:D

We recommend sand over gravel because it does not cause ill effects (impaction) when swallowed.

If he has swallowed gravel, it will have to come out naturally (one end or another). First, getting him off gravel will help. After that, keeping him cool and feeding him regularly are important.

Hi
James here.
Thank you for your help is there a certain type of sand I should buy? :confused:

Thanks
James:D

The most common types are pool filter sand (which is slightly coarse), and children's play sand (which is very fine). Both need a fair bit of washing.

I think it is, i´m pretty sure that´s the kind i´m using (although the petshop just labels it as aquarium sand and charges more).
Make sure to wash it throughly, because it has a lot of dust that will could your tank.

Should just add that if you're changing from gravel to sand (like I did), that a lot of waste food and stuff will be in the gravel so I recommend doing some thorough hoovering (I use a turkey baster) and probably a fairly large water change to avoid the water becoming too foul. In addition, the sand will take a while to settle, so it's best to keep your axie in some temporary housing until the water is relatively clear. I doubt floating sand is very dangerous, but you never know and frankly it's probably not very nice for your axie.

Good luck! All I can say with gravel is wait for it to pass and watch out for it in your tank - you'll want to fish it out as quick as possible to avoid it getting eaten again (yes, they are that silly).

Hi all
Thank you for all your help I really wanted to thank you:D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back