Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Just want to make sure this is good

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
I am getting my first baby here in the next 2-5 days or so and I want to make sure everything is perfect! I have a 10g tank with about 2 inches of sand on the bottom, I have 2 ceramic pots that are half buried for hiding spots, a 20g rated filter with a piece of PVC coming off of it so that the water is lightly and evenly dispersed coming off the filter. The tank has no kind of hood currently is that ok? I have a pair of fans on the water keeping it a the correct temperature (college student I just can't afford a chiller) and the tank is already cycled. Have I forgotten anything and does this all sound good?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good, but lids are ALWAYS A MUST. Really, you do need a fitting lid, even if it´s unlikely that the axolotl will ever try to scape...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the sand 2 inches in depth?, if so it may be too deep . As Azhael has said a lid is necessary, axolotl can startle and will launch them selves from the water . Some plants real or fake will give your axolotl something to hide and 'climb' on. Take a look at some of the photo's in the gallery section for ideas..I still look there for inspiration.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Robert,

I agree with Azhael, a lid is essential if you have a full tank as axolotls can and do jump, particuarly if they are startled they will dart around at speed and can fly right out of the tank.

Axolotls are messy little grots who release a lot of wastes. A full tank is recommended for a small aquarium as the more water volume you have, the more efficiently these wastes will be dilluted.

If I may, having two inchs of sand runs the risk of gas pockets developing underneath. One inch sand depth is the recommended maximum.

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll make a lid tonight. I'll make sure the sand is fine. I use the 2 inches with all my fish tanks. Once a week I turn the sand over and get out any gas pockets.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There's really no need for 2 inches of sand on the bottom of the tank. It will just trap waste. I use about 1/2 inch of sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!