what salt do i use in salt baths????

hanniebumblebee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
hannie bee
Hey, my axie Miso has really thick white fungus on one of her gills, I'm thinking that its time for a few salt baths but my axies fungus usually clears up on its own so I've never done any salt bathing before :S. Is regular table salt ok or do I have to use special aquarium salt??? I know its a common thread but I've looked through and I really don't understand what salt to use :( please help... Hanniex

Hi Hannie,

Regular table salt is fine as long as it does not also include flouride or iodine. The salt that you use in a dishwasher can also be used.

A question: do you know why your axolotls keep getting fungus?

-Eva

Oh My God thank you !!, Miso has fungus because I had to do a pretty brutal tank move about a week ago and because I took most of the tank water out (which had just been changed) I think I must have thrown the bio cycle in my tank mixed with the stress of the move. They used to get fungus all the time when I fed them blood worm, as it used to rot in the tank but since I've moved on to little fishes they have stopped getting it since the water quality has been better and they have both gotten much bigger so I'm thinking that little frozen fish are the way to go!! thank you for all your help. Hannie xxx

Fish isn't really good as a 'complete' diet for an axolotl. Have you thought about other foods? Here's a link that might help you- http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

If it is the water quality that you are worried about, then there are other ways of feeding your axies so that it doesn't cause a problem. For example, when I feed my little ones blood worms, pellets or anything else that could be messy and annoying to clean up, I put my axies into a container to feed them (I feed them their fun 'messy' foods on water change days). This means that when they go back into their tank, the water is still clean. I also feed them something 'cleaner' such as an earthworm from my garden on non-tank cleaning days (messy foods for them are a treat).

Although I do things this way, there are many another ways to feed your axies so that it doesn't compromise your water quality. One of the main things is always removing uneaten food immediately after feeds or asap!

Now back on topic- your axies shouldn't be getting fungus on a regular basis and if they are then that would normally suggest that your water quality isn't up to speed. Do you know what your water parameters are? Could you post them please if you do. Also, what is your temperature in the tank? Do you regularly clean up any poops or uneaten food (and look under your decorations and other things)?

:(I am really sorry to hear that your axie is not improving! I understand how hard it is to go though this and watch your loved critter go though hell. My thoughts are with you. GOOD LUCK!!

Another way to get uneaten food out of a tank is to use a turkey baster. I know it sounds a tad bit unconditional but it works! Just make sure you "push" all the air out before you put it in the water. That leaves the food undisturbed. Suck up what they don't eat and replace whatever water you removed.

I would strongly suggest aquarium salt. Sometimes sea salt and kosher salt have added chemicals.

Other than that I would strongly listen to Kira's advice: check your water parameters and temperature.

I had the same problem and I used normal kitchen salt. the treatment went well I did it maby three times and he was ok and redy to action again!!!:D
I would like to know what to do to avoid to have these again:confused:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back