Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

are twins common with Axolotl spawnings

declanmacgabhan

Reaction score
Hi, I just thought I would ask if any of you have noticed "twins" in any of the egg clumps that you axolotls have deposited? I have one 10 year old Female wildtype and her most recent spawning has a lot of what appears to be twins, the outer protective layer covers two inner cells and each contains a larva. On close inspection I have also seen to larva share the same inner cell. I have not really inspected the eggs much before as I just let them get on with it.

Attachments

• 31_12_08_2 [1024x768].JPG
    31_12_08_2 [1024x768].JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 632

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Declan, how's the family? The embryos get coated on their way out of the body and if two are stuck together they develop inside the one large globe of jelly. I'm not really sure why the mother would start doing this more often but I would expect it's something to do with age.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's rather usual to get "twins" or "triplets" with Axolotls (in a strict sense all siblings of one batch of eggs are multiples...just in several single egg coatings).

I had a batch with about 50% of it (see pic), within the links blueberlin posted you can even read about higher percentages.

Zwilling_1.jpg

declanmacgabhan

Reaction score
Hi Eva, John and Daniel, thanks for the update on the spawnings. I guess that the female being 10 might have something to do with it and the fact that she is laying about 600+ eggs in a spawning?

Declan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1