These are P. labiatus?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
I think I got the ID right...

Anyone have a link to the BEST type of setup for them? If I'm right I definitely have one male - as he has the white spots on the later 3rd of his tail. The other two don't. But since one is much smaller than the others - it may be to immature to sex. I'd like pics of other folks setups if you have them!

Sharon

Attachments

• 100_0327.jpg
    100_0327.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_0329.jpg
    100_0329.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_0333.jpg
    100_0333.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 215
Yep, those are Pachytriton labiatus.
You can find the most suitable type of set-up in the CC caresheet.

Are you planning a single setup, or separate ones? The smaller animal is particularly at risk of serious aggression from the others.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml
Basically, any fully-aquatic newt setup will do the trick. To keep more than one per setup, you need to create lots of hiding places and visual barriers.

Yeah I'm going to try and house the three together. I picked up clay pots yesterday and I've been sawing (trying) them in half to create multiple hides.

I have a 3 gl bucket full of plants and naja grass to spare so hiding shouldn't be a problem. The holidays still have my house and tanks in dissarray - never mind bringing in newbies. Hopefully by March I'll have the tanks all sorted.

Right now they are in a 4 gl tote. I know, not nearly enough space, but they don't seem to fight much. Only at feedings as each tries to raid the others feeding dishes. But I'm hoping that when/if I can screen off the dishes they'll pay less attention to the others foods. But once those blood worms hit the water they all bail out of their hides and head toward the feeding stations.

I read over the caudata care sheet and I know they need a fully aquatic setup - but since all my tanks are on display in my livingroom, I'd like to make them visually appealing to the eye as well as appropriate to the critter. I was hoping for ideas in seeing others pictures.

Thanks for the confirmation on their ID. I'll label their tank as such.

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back