Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

just moved my sally to dorm some questions

theHIguy

Reaction score
i just signed up today excited to find people who love sallies like me. i have a few questions, could i keep my sally in a tank with a chameleon he will be in the branches high above the ground. whats the best bedding for my sally i have a olive tiger sally i think =). and whats the best food for him he has been eating pinky mice for about a year before that were crickets. i kept him in a half water half land tank but now i have to make ajustments due to space any suggestions on what kinda water and hiding spaces. and is there any sites were i could order a female?
thanks much.
theHiguy

pete

Reaction score
If you're talking about a true chameleon, not an anole. I'd highly recommend not putting any thing in it's cage, as they're very sensitive to stress, although how sensitive various with species. I had a Senegal chameleon when I was young that was very happy for several months until I decided to put an American toad in his tank and it turned off colors the next day, and it died a week later from stress. Also since you're in a dorm, I'll tell this tale, too. I had a fischer chameleon in college it lived for three months, but it died from the stress of people walking in and out of my dorm room all the time during finals week. In the reverse, I doubt your tiger would care about the chameleon though. In general it's a bad idea to mix species.

The best food for a tiger is earthworms. Pinkies contribute to unhealthy fat accumulation. Crickets are okay, but not the most nutritious. I'm sure others will have some input on tiger food. I'd suggest checking out the caudata care link. It will answer most of your questions.

Edit: Not that you should keep an Anole and Tiger salamander together either.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely - do not keep the tiger and the chameleon in the same vivarium. First, their environmental requirements are totally different. Other problems are the pathogens each carry, the potential for biting, stress, etc. The chameleon (or anole) requires heat, a basking lamp and UV light. These would be lethal to your salamander. The salamander needs to be kept on a moist substrate at less than 72F. The best substrate is organic topsoil or cocofiber or a mix of both. The substrate should be at least at 3 inches for the salamander to burrow and there should be hides for it - cork bark, pieces of wood, etc. A small shallow water dish is also a good idea. There is absolutely no need for a half land and half water viv.

If you are in a dorm room, you have to assure that there is also a place where the tiger can be in dim light - do not place the viv under bright light.

As to what to feed....pinkies should never be a staple. Think worms, nightcrawlers, red wrigglers and dusted crickets - please see the care sheet that pete referrenced and look at this link from caudata culture on foods for caudates:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

theHIguy

Reaction score
thank you guys for the info i decided not to put the lizard in there he can stay at home =( my sally really never burrowed but i would like him to and i have a heat lamp over his tank but read that is not needed. i love my sally very much ive had him since i was 9 hes more like a brother then a pet. so i will be asking alot of questions to give him a good life thank you guys

much thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1