Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Outdoor pond for amphibians

Ronin

Reaction score
Re: Outdoor Husbandry of Andrias sp.

Hello I am new here and had to post on this thread.I actually have a backyard pond with water lilly's goldfish,frogs and a bunch of other critters.I have a regular tract home in southeast california (Corona,east of Orange county,California)I have a 7year old child and I wanted her to have exposure to "critters"of all sorts we went to the pet shop and bought tadpoles to throw in the pond,and I had also purchased A "waterdog"from a fish bait shop.The "waterdog"is actually the star of the pond he(it) will take pellets,the floating fish food type. He also goes after the guppies which my kid thinks it is the coolest.We also have fed earthworms withforceps I am not sure what species I have but will soon post a photo.I have also recently purchased a salamander egg cluster fromWard's scientific supply.Which I will nurture in an aquarium and release the "juvies"As far as filtration,water ciculation,and other care of the outdoor pond.Ihave a water pump with a sprinkler type spayer that also has a filter box I bought it at home depot.My pond also has shelfs bout little more than half way up the side with gravel and plants (duckweed)so the frogs and waterdog can rest. I think anphibians do well out doors here in south "California.or I have been lucky cause we also have a Bullfrog that lives in the pond also but he seens to be content eating the bugs in my yard and not eating all my fish. Oh,I am sorry the mane reason for this post is I eventually want my pond to be an outdoor breeding habitat for anphibianThanxz for letting me post

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I moved this post from elsewhere. I couldn't find a good place on the forum for discussion of amphibians in ponds, so I put it in intros.

Before a bunch of people jump on you, Ronin... you should know that it's a very bad idea to put any non-native species in an outdoor pond, as you could introduce non-native species. Which can be a very bad thing. I urge you NOT to put your juvie salamanders into your pond. Try to find only local native species to put into your pond (or just wait for them to find it).

pete

Reaction score

Hmm, I guess I'll be the one to say it. You should be aware that "waterdogs" or Ambystoma are now banned in the state (CA). I'm kind of surprised that you could find some to buy at a bait shop. I think bullfrogs may also be banned. At least they're not loved by the fish and game department. However, you should be aware and cautious when posting this information on a public forum.

I'd agree that you should focus on native species, but I can't think of too many, if any, salamanders that live around there. Another reason not to keep him in the pond is that once your salamander transforms, you shouldn't expect it to stick around your pond like a frog. They like to burrow and migrate away from the pond, so I'd also recommend against keeping it outdoors because you'll likely lose it. I'm sure your kid is having fun with it, good luck with the eggs. It sounds like something I'd have enjoyed. As for setting it up as a amphibian breeding site, well, I think you should research a bit more on what species if any to breed. Random Ward's salamander eggs may not be the best choice for your endeavor if you're serious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!