Cycling with 7 week baby

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
For reasons I dont care to discuss the cycled tank I worked so hard to get ready is gone. I have an all new filter and tank. I've done everything I can to get as much beneficial bacteria into the new tank as possible. Filter pads from my other tank, decorations, gravel that I buried in the sand to avoid him eating it. I need to know how I can safely cycle a 10g tank. I don't have anywhere to but the little guy. I will change water however it needs to be done. The tank is full so there is plenty of extra water. How should I go about cycling it.

In the mean time get two plastic shoe boxes and keep him in one for a day or two then switch him to the other while you clean out the one he was in. Make sure to use water conditioner in the water he is staying in and add an air stone. then go to a large pet store or aquarium store and buy some Nutrafin Cycle An all-natural product that releases massive amounts of beneficial bacteria into aquarium. This product will cycle your tank in 2-3 weeks

For reasons I dont care to discuss the cycled tank I worked so hard to get ready is gone. I have an all new filter and tank. I've done everything I can to get as much beneficial bacteria into the new tank as possible. Filter pads from my other tank, decorations, gravel that I buried in the sand to avoid him eating it. I need to know how I can safely cycle a 10g tank. I don't have anywhere to but the little guy. I will change water however it needs to be done. The tank is full so there is plenty of extra water. How should I go about cycling it.

I'm confused. Wouldn't ammonia just build up faster in a smaller area? Also, I don't have any containers big enough to have an airstone without causing some very serious water movement. I have used cycle before and it worked great. I cycled 2 tanks with fish in it and didn't loose a single fish. Wouldn't it be better just to leave the little guy in the aquarium and do water changes to help keep the ammonia down? I can do however large of a daily water change that I need to. I just hate trying to keep him in the plastics we have. I'd love to go out and buy some large ones but I'm in college and after the other tank got removed I spent all the extra money I had going out and getting him a new tank and filter! I'm so frustrated!

I don't know how well they work or if it is a good idea since I'm trying to get the tank to cycle but I have seen ammonia removers for sale at the local aquarium type shops. I have also seen ammonia removing filter pads and things such as that. I don't know if it would be good or not. Opinions?

Wouldn't it be better just to leave the little guy in the aquarium and do water changes to help keep the ammonia down?

Cycling your tank with your axolotl in it is fine. Just remember to do daily water changes and keep an eye on your ammonia. If the ammonia increases too much, just do a bigger water change.

I don't know how well they work or if it is a good idea since I'm trying to get the tank to cycle but I have seen ammonia removers for sale at the local aquarium type shops. I have also seen ammonia removing filter pads and things such as that. I don't know if it would be good or not. Opinions?

I believe ammonia removers are not a good idea for two reasons; A. they don't really remove the ammonia, rather they change it so that you have ammonium(? spelling sorry) which is not quite as toxic as ammonia, but it is still toxic. B. Adding any unnessecary chemicals to your tank could unintentionally poison your axie because the chemicals can be absorbed through the skin.

Hope this helps. :eek:

You can indeed cycle your tank with your axolotl there. 20% daily water changes will hopefully ensure that ammonia etc will not build up to dangerous levels. Test the water regularly as the reading will indicate when the cycling has completed..it may take a month or so to happen. You have started off well with placing the older tank contents in your new tank. Cycling products generally don't seem to work as the necessary bacteria may die before it reaches your tank, there have been posts on the forum previously regarding these products ( there is a very useful search button towards the top of the page).I too had to re-cycle a tank not long after I got my first axolotl and it was rather frustrating, when it eentually settled down it was great and over a year later have had no further problems. Good luck.

With an axolotl that size in a tank that big (relatively), I wouldn't worry much. You transferred a lot of good bacteria, and your axolotl is very small.

Monitor your water parameters, and do water changes as needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back