Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

finally they come!

freyakuu

Reaction score
my axies tank is now all around eggs ^^ i have waited this moment! but now I have so much questions about them.I have now change them on different place,do they need anything else? there is some plants where is eggs and water is same as parents....they are so cute little eggs:D

optimist

Reaction score
mine took just over 2 weeks to hatch. Make sure you have live food ready for them once they hatch. My larvae are now about 1cm long (these eggs were laid on 2nd Dec). You must be very happy

freyakuu

Reaction score
where do I get food? congrats to your babies too^^

here is picture of some eggs
eggs.jpg

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Congratulations! Yes, they sure are cute little eggs.

The eggs have everything they need until they hatch. Read more about breeding and rearing larvae on the axolotl site.

Newly hatched axolotl larvae are only about 3 or 4 mm long. You will need "microfood" for them. Most people breed Artemia - you should get your Artemia hatchery started now so that the Artemia are ready for your larvae when they hatch. I raised mine on Daphnia, but even newly hatched Daphnia were too large for most of the new axolotl larvae, so that I had a high death rate in the first week (starvation). More information on microfoods, including information on setting up an Artemia hatchery, is found here among the articles from the Caudata Culture page.

Good luck to you!

-Eva

freyakuu

Reaction score
now little ones is start to hatch!I was thinking,what is axolotl assignment age? and can it be two male axolotl in same tank? heres picture of couple babys

aksobabyt.jpg

blueberlin

Reaction score
What do you mean "assignment"?

It is ok to keep (adult) males together; axolotls are not aggressive animals.

-Eva

freyakuu

Reaction score
that,what is their age when you can sell them in new home? sorry sometimes I have really bad english:D

blueberlin

Reaction score
Ah understood. No problem, lots of us are from non-English speaking countries. :D

I don't know that there is a set "rule" on their size. If you ask me, I would wait until they are at least 10 cm long, because by that point they are not so delicate, not so difficult to care for, and so I would not have as much worry giving them to an inexperienced person. I think that takes about 4 or 5 months.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1