General question on filters

Celeste

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hello everyone!!!

I've been checking the forum trying to find out the optimal capacity (liters per hour) of the tank filters.

So far, I haven't found a specific optimal proportion between the tank and the filter's capacity; so if any of you has information regarding this issue, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me.

I currently own a 130 liters tank and a wet/dry filter that pumps 600 liters per hour (no axies yet). I know how to adjust the filter's outfeed in order to alter the current, but I can't alter the quantity of water that gets pumped. I am worried it would be pumping too much water.

On the other hand, I have a friend who's been housing axolotls for years and he recommended I use a protein skimmer. Has any of you used one of this? In case somebody has and had good results, what is the adecquate usage of this tool?

I would love to have some feedback about these topics.

Ta Ta

Celeste

The general recommendation, at least for fishkeeping, is that your filter should turn over your full tank volume 5 times per hour. In your case your filter fits that requirement almost exactly so I think you'll be fine since you have already considered problems with excessive current.

As for protein skimmers, I don't think such a piece of equipment is necessary. While having one may help you maintain good water quality, such a device isn't required. I am not sure, but I seem to remember that protein skimmers are less effective when they aren't used in marine environments.

Thanks for your reply Abrahm!!!

I was told that the skimmer can be used in freshwater with a stone difusor (im not sure if thats the correct word?), but thank you... I will do the changes I need to make the current less strong. I will ask for more information to my friend ( I havent been able to reach him), I hope I can post about his results later in case this issue could be of someone´s interest!!!!

Thanks a lot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back