Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Rapid onset of paleness in Tylototriton verrucosus

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have been keeping a couple of juvenile T. verrucosus for a few weeks now (bred in Germany; got them to introduce some fesh blood into my adult group) and over the last few hours one has suddenly paled, turning from a normal dark black-brown to a pale grey colour. The animal is the more aquatic of the two, and both have been eating well since they arrived. Today the tank was was moved across the room and a small water change performed, so they were a little stressed and, having eaten waxworm yesterday as well, refused food. The pale animal seems a little agitated, but that could be down to the water change and change of position. It has not left the water.

Has anyone encountered this before in this species? (I know Cynops orientalis sometimes goes grey, but I believe the transition is slower). I would just leave the animal to settle down and take it from there, but I am leaving for uni tomorrow and want to be sure all is well before I go. All my animals will be in the very capable hands of my brother, but I'd rather not leave him with a sick animal, or without knowing what mught be wrong.

Cheers

Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1