Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Impacted Axolotl

CodyL

Reaction score
I've got a white albino axolotl, his name is Optimus.

I've have notice that he had stopped eating, so i changed his diet.
Still no eating on his behalf.

I decided to have a good look at him, and under normal light, i can see a Green stone of considerable size in his stomach.

roughly 8mm X 4mm x 4mm.

I know now i shouldn't have put stones in his tank, but when i purchased them the salesman said it would be fine... i know i too was shocked, a sailsman not telling the truth!!!

Anyway, he hasn't eaten for around 2 weeks, and i'm getting very worried, i've removed all the stones from the tank, and am making sure to keep the water clean and at a good p.h level.

Any tips on if he will, or how i can get him to pass the stone???

Is there an axolotl laxative i can buy lol???

Cheers for the help!

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Cody,

Fridging will aid the axie in passing the stone.

Prepare a tub of fresh dechlorinated water. Put axie in tub and pop in the fridge. Set fridge for at least 5C - try not to have it colder than this if possible. Keep dechlorinated water in the fridge to use for water changes so the temperature is kept at a constant and the axie is not subjected to temperature shock. The water needs to be changed every day.

Axies can go for some time without food.

The fridge will slow the axies metabolism so he will not be inclined to eat while in the fridge. The weight loss is also slowed right down as well which buys you time to fix the problem.

CodyL

Reaction score
OK, i'll head over to coles now and get some water...
i'm gussing that a stone this big will probably takea longtime to pass???

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, i'll head over to coles now and get some water...
i'm gussing that a stone this big will probably takea longtime to pass???

Coles? Just your normal tap water is fine as long as it is treated with a dechlorinator. When treated you pop it in the fridge.

As to 'time to pass' that depends on the axolotl. Fridging will help him pass it faster than if not fridged.

CodyL

Reaction score
well still nothing, he only seems to be getting worse, any more ideas anyone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1