newb axi tank

prcdslnc13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well Ive decided that Im going to set up a 55 for some axi's. so here's my plan and a few questions.:

For the tank im planning to go with a 3/4 full tank with a rock formation building up from the to corners until they are protruding from the water (like a triangle type of thing). Also Im going to add some drift wood too. Ive had newts and salamanders before but never had these guys. Is it as important for them to be able to get out of the water?

For substrate Im planning to use very fine grained pool filter sand. Im pretty sure the grain is rated at .45mm, is this small enough to not worry? Or do I need to move to a bigger like river rock setup? Id rather do sand as its easier to clean.

Filtration is going to be a 400gph sump system, with 2 levels of mechanical filtration (course and fine sponges) and 2 gallons of bio-media (bioballs). Im also thinking of adding an internal power filter eventually if this doesnt handle it.

How does all this sound? Id like to keep 4-5 in this system. Also Id like to keep some larger armoured cat fish in here like rapheal cats that would probably be about the same size as the axolotls themselves, would this be possible?

How does all this sound? Im Joe BTW haha :grin:

Hi prcdslnc13,

Axolotls are fully aquatic so they do not require land area to get out in normal circumstances. It is only in the very rare cases where they do metamorphosize that they do require this semi terrestrial setup.

Sand is suitable as a substrate. Your filter system sounds good, just make sure the water current is not too strong.

Axolotls are best kept as a single species. Keeping them with other fishes result in either the fish being a snack for the axolotl or the axolotl being harmed by the fish. Even if you were to house only axolotls, its best to house similar sized adults as young juveniles can be cannibalistic.

Cheers

Catfish & plecostomus are among the worst to keep with axolotls. There are a good number of nightmare pictures of what happens when a softbodied axolotl tries to eat an armoured fish with long spines. Its not pretty and they will eat anything that fits in their mouths.

No its not important for axolotls to get out of the water like some newts.

You should read this site.. http://www.axolotl.org/

It has all the info you need.

Good luck.

Sharon

Sharon said:
There are a good number of nightmare pictures of what happens when a softbodied axolotl tries to eat an armoured fish with long spines

Here are some of those pics, if you'd like to check it out for yourself. Not pretty!
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml#id26

It sounds like you know what you're doing - good luck with your axolotls, they're a lot of fun :)

Hey Joe (ok now that song is stuck in my head),

I'll add my two bits, too. First, do NOT look at the pictures those two posted, they are horrible! :eek: Suffice it to say that catfish and axolotls do not mix. Even if the catfish is large enough that the axolotl will not try to eat it and get stabbed by the catfish's spikes, catfish like to suck things clean (which is why we love them in our aquaria, no?) and they may very well suck on the axolotl, to the bone. I have also personally witnessed a catfish stick its fin into an axolotl's leg (the axolotl was, to be fair, being quite annoying with its tail). Besides, even if it never comes to an actual physcial injury, keeping the two species together would create a constant stress level (like seeing a hated co-worker each day) that is, simply put, just nice to avoid.

Second, filtration: I am not quite sure what "sump" means but I think it is a canister filter, maybe an external cansiter? The gph of 500 is most certainly enough for a 55g tank. You are more likely to have a problem with "excessive" water flow. Axolotls are stillwater animals and water flow actually bugs them. The way I solved this (following tips from this forum) is that I connected three spray bars to stretch along the entire length of the back pane of the aquarium, with a plug at the end; this breaks up the outflow enough that it does not create a current (it looks pretty, too, like a waterfall).

Third, the rock formation. That sounds really cool, I must admit. As the others have said, axolotls do not need to come to the surface; the are completely aquatic. Something else to consider, though, is room for them to "run". Axolotls are nocturnal (well, crepuscular, to be more precise) and, although they are relatively calm during the daytime when most people watch them, they do get quite active at night. If you want to set up a "fun" environment for your axolotls, you should leave space for them to "run" (I call it dancing). Most people I know plant or decorate the middle of the aquarium and leave a "racing track" around the outside; unhindered space around the outside of the aquarium that provides the axolotls with as much room as possible to excercise. Your rock formation sounds ideal for that, whether it reaches out of the water or not.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back