Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which worms are best??

LJW

Reaction score
I'm wanting to get some worms for my little friend. Are the worms that you can buy from Bunnings/Garden centres (composting worms) okay? Or do I need to get earthworms, and if so, were do I buy them?

Cheers.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi LJW,

Actually you can just dig for worms in your garden. Just give it a good rinse and soak them in the water for about 30 min before offering to your axolotl.

The composting earthworms from bunnings is ok, or you can buy them from bait shops (for fishing).

Otherwise you can get them from some aquarium shops. One of the popular brands here in Australia is "Pisces" and they sell earthworms in those little tupperwares that reminds me of chinese takeaway. As these worms are pathogen free and kept in clean peat, they can last up to a month (kept alive). Just sprinkle some water and you can even throw in some vegetable bits and fish flakes to feed them. My 2 tubs of earthworms have created generations of progeny and an endless supply of sacrificial worms for my axolotls.

Cheers

LJW

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ray,

The garden isn't an option for me:(, so I'll have and try and source them elsewhere.

Thanks again.
Lesley

kira

Reaction score
I think earthworms are great because they are really good for axolotls and really easy to fed to axies. If the garden isn't an option, then by all means try Bunnings or of course, fishing and bait shops. Like Ray said, there is a brand called 'Pisces'. You can buy Pisces earthworms at a pet shop, or you can order online at

http://www.piscesenterprises.com/jo...&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Pisces also supply other live foods that your axolotl might enjoy! ;)

Oh, I forgot to mention, Pisces say on the packaging that if you keep your worms in the fridge that they last longer. This is true I have found. I bought a tub of worms before Christmas and they are still alive today!

Last edited:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for that Ray,

The garden isn't an option for me:(, so I'll have and try and source them elsewhere.

Thanks again.
Lesley

Hi Lesley,

You can culture your own worms at home. You can purchase a ready-made worm farm or "bucket-of-worms" (I don't want to link anything here to avoid advertisement), or make your own. I simply bought two paint buckets from the hardware store, drilled holes in the floor and lid of one and set it into the other. There is lots of information on the internet. I got my inspiration from this article on howtocompost.com.

Compost worms are red wrigglers. Apparently these worms have a foul smell/taste that bothers some axolotls (not mine); you can find lots of threads about that in this forum. Information on the various types of earthworms and other types of worms, including some links to further info, is available in this article on the Caudata Culture site.

-Eva

LJW

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help.

I've got some red wrigglers but Morph doesn't appear to like them. He sucks them in, but spits them out again shortly after. I only feed him little ones, so I don't think it's because they are too big.

I found an aquarium that is getting some earthworms in tomorrow, so I will try him with them. I plan to "grow my own" if Morph likes them.

He's recently just recovered from having fungus (fridging and salt water baths) but now I'm having trouble getting him to eat. I'm trying all options in the hope that something will stimulate his appetite again. He's starting to look a little scrawny.

All the water tests seem fine, so I'm really at a loss at what to do next. If the earthworms aren't a hit I'll be putting a call out for some more help.

Thanks again.
Lesley

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Lesley,

If he has not had worms before he may be unaccustomed to the 'wriggling' in his mouth. I would leave the worm with him, even leave it with him overnight and it may mysteriously vanish by next morning. ;)

Once he's accustomed to the worms, he will love them!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again LJW,

Maybe its partly psychological on my part but i feel that soaking the earthworms (even the red wrigglers) for 30min beforehand may somewhat make them more palatable to the axolotl (or at least my brain thinks so). At the very least, they get rid of some dirt and worm digesta.

You can also chop them up into lovely 'swallow size' pieces. My axolotls who once hated red wrigglers kind of chow them down like chow mein now.

Cheers

Celeste

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been told that you can take out all the dirt frome the earthworms by leaving them for 24 hours in a bucket with moist napkins in little pieces (without ink or perfume). I have done it and after this treatment you cant see the dirt that is usually seen in earthworms has disappeared.

By the way, I dont know if anybody can help me with this, I am going to take my earthworms to a bigger place, so I bought two buckets, and they have a rather nasty plastic smell. I washed them very well, and they leached some jelly stuff, so I called the manufacturer and told me it was some kind of acrylic, non toxic, but the smell hasnt disappeared totally... is it safe to use it?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Celeste,

I would recommend against using the buckets. Its really not worth the risk. You would sleep better at night too without having doubts in your mind.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!