Aquatic Salamanders

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Colt
Does anyone have or use live underwater plants for aquatic salamanders? Is this good, or bad?

Live plants are all I use for mine there good for breeding.

It would help to know what kind of salamander we are talking about. It depends.

I've found that with the lower light in the sal tanks, few plants grow well. All I really have growing well is java moss, and some other plants that float on the surface. I use a combination of silk plants and java moss.

im a java moss fan to. its pretty much impossible to kill.

I love the way it grows onto things. In the following pics you can see how it (1) grew all over a palm tree decoration, (2) grew all over a piece of cork bark (notice also the snail eggs in it!), and (3) how I'm trying to make it grow all over this shelf so it becomes a living shelf.

Attachments

• javapalmtreesm.JPG
    javapalmtreesm.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 445
  • javacorkislandsm.JPG
    javacorkislandsm.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 900
  • javalivingislandsm.JPG
    javalivingislandsm.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,593
Live plants are a great help with keeping water quality. They also release oxygen which is obviously good.
I personally use a lot of live plants in my tanks. I have no problems with growth, in fact they grow like crazy. I recently "cleaned" my 60l tank and i took out LOTS of Elodea...(a whole bucket xD)
AS you can imagine, Elodea works brilliantly, java moss and java fern grow well in shady conditions although they grow slowlier. Anubias is another type of plant that grows in the shade.
The only concern with live plants is that you need to clean the debriss that over time builds up in the bottom of the tank(which you have to do anyway.....)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back