Axolotl too thin, is she sick?

KYLZE

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
KYLZE
There is something wrong with my female albino axolotl.
She has never been a big eater since I got her about 6 months ago.
But now she won't eat hardly anything.
She won't eat pellets, or ox heart. Only thing I can get her to eat is bloodworms, but she spits most of them out afterwards. She's getting thinner and thinner, what do I do?
Is there anything else I can try to get her to eat that is good for her?
Help?!? Axolotl too thin, is she sick? :confused:

Can you get hold of earth worms, try dropping food directly onto her snout this normally gets a feed reaction.

I hand feed them both. I have 1 male and 1 female. I can get the bloodworms in her mouth, eventually she takes them (after they've melted all over the place) but then spits them out. She just doesn't seem interested in food. Unlike him, he tries to steal all her food. He's a pig!

Live food may be the key here. Live wriggly food can help stimulate their natural instinct to grab, chomp and swallow. Wriggly earthworms, slugs, snails (shell removed) can help. Live bloodworms are good.
You may not be happy about throwing in live fish, but I find a guppy or small minnow makes for a stimulating treat now and then. Keep the fish quarantined for 30 days if you can't be certain it isn't diseased or ill. I usually throw it in at night and by the morning it is gone.

Okay, thanks. I'll try and get some live foods from the fish shop.
You say this is as a rare treat. What can I give her to eat every second day?

Earthworms are the most easily available, nutritious food you can offer as a staple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back