Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Her Eyes have gone?!?

bobe70

Reaction score
My axolotl has not been eating and been very inactive for about 4 days now... and today i noticed that her eyes look clear, almost as if they are not there anymore!

I know this sounds odd (or maybe not!) but im sure i can see right through her, in one eye and out of the other??

This really isnt meant to sound like a joke. Is this possible? :confused:

geosheets

Reaction score
I'm not gonna be much help on the eye issue as I'm new to axies myself but some water parameters may help diagnose why/what is going on... what are your readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, and temperature?

Kal El

Reaction score
G'day Bobe,

Could you please post a photo of your axolotl, in particular, its eyes? But, by the description you have provided, it seems like you're describing cloudy eyes, which is a symptom of illness. The common causes of cloudy eyes include*:

- Injury. Is your axolotl housed with any other aquatic species? Are there any sharp objects that could lacerate the axolotl's delicate skin? Axolotls do not have the best eye sight, and so minimising potential hazards is key to preventing decor-related injuries.

- Infection. Have you introduced any new aquatic speices without quarantining them for at least 30 days? Is your axolotl also exhibiting a fungal infection? Fungal infections are usually secondary to primary infections, which can be bacterial or viral. In other words, the axolotl's immune system has been weakened, thus, paving the way for a fungal infection.

- Diet. What are you feeding your axolotl? Try feeding earthworms that are gutloaded, as these are most nutritious.

- Shedding problem. Does your axolotl appear to be 'flaking'? Axolotl's also have what is commonly called the slime coat. The slime coat acts as the first line of defense against pathogens, just as the skin does with humans. When an axolotl is being attacked by a pathogen, it will often secrete more of this so-called slime coat via the mucous membranes.

- Exposure to a toxin. Have you introduced any unsafe chemicals into your tank? There are some individuals that are particularly pedantic about indoor contaminants because the concentrations would be greater indoors as opposed to outdoors. For example, tobacco pollution can be concentrated in aerosol droplets that settle on the surface of the water. Alternatively they can form with dust, and enter the tank.

*http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtml

Keep us updated, and hopefully all goes well ;)

Jay.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bobe70,

Based on your description, i would have interpreted as if there is a hole right through your axolotl's head, being able to see right through via her eye sockets. I surely hope this is not the case.

Its best really to take photos of your axolotl to post here. When you take the photos, make sure you try to take both sides of her head, and if possible also take one of her entire body shot so it facilitate the determination of stress or illness.

I would also advise on taking photos on a daily basis for your own records purpose. The serial photos will act like a visual document that you can use to assess your axolotl's progress.

Also it would be much more effective if you could also provide some prior history of the axolotl. For example if you noticed any unusual behaviour such as inappetance, unusual floating, spontaneous sudden twitching, any unusual growth or discolouration on the body, any bloody or purulent dischage anywhere on the body. Also basic background information like whether your axolotl has any other tankmates, or you have potentially sharp and pointy or abrasive surfaces in your tank etc.

Also this may sound like a wierd question, but is your axolotl an albino? Because under certain lighting conditions, an albino axolotl's eyes may appear completely clear as opposed to other axolotl types with pigment.

Before the photos are here, i am very hesitant to speculate what it can be.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1