Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best places 4 buying salamanders? (Eastern Newts)

groundskeeper

Reaction score
Hello im interested in Eastern newts

my question is what are the best online dealers for ordering salamanders?
I am interested in finding some red-spotted newts. I have found biological suppliers with other amphibians but no red-spotted newts. I had a old reptile magazine with a listing of websites. Are there sites that specialize in pet amphibians?
I will wait until spring so they dont freeze during shipping.

My goal is to have the newts lay eggs and then transplant the eggs to a small pond on my land. Where red spotted newts used to be uncommon and are now rare.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I am not sure how much luck you will have finding Eastern newts but you'll want to keep an eye out on the for sale section of the forum. You could also contact Michael Shrom on here and be put on his mailing list.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
While in theory, your idea of transplanting newts may sound like a good idea.

But in reality, this is a bad idea. For one, you have no idea where your 'red spotted newts' came from. You could be introducing a strain/subspecies/breed that is NOT native to your area. And for two, you have no idea what diseases these newts are carrying (and more often than not, they are carrying disease). The animals that the vast majority of bio supply companies offer are wild-caught and are carrying various diseases, parasites, viruses, etc. These can be easily transmitted to native animals (not just salamanders, but frogs and toads, and possibly reptiles). This can be devastating to native populations.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well said Kaysie.
If you want newts to live in your pond, just let them colonize it naturally. If that´s not an option and you still want to keep newts in the pond, you´re going to have to isolate it really well. Because of what Kaysie said, you need to make absolutely sure that nothing can enter or scape the pond.
Still you are better off keeping them indoors in an aquarium....

I would also recomend to keep away from shops and biological supliers. If the laws of your state allow it, (i can´t believe i´m saying this) it´s better if you pick some yourself. The best option though would be acquiring CB animals....in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1