Question: Paddletail newt question

gpd414

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to amphibians but kept several aquariums for years. I decided to try something new and picked up 3 paddletail newts. I have had them for about 1 month in a 55 gallon all aquatic setup except for a couple rocks poking out of the water just in case they need out of the water. They are doing fine and I only had a little aggression between two the first day but nothing since. I had done alot of researching before buying them and read that they normally live in streams with stronger currents so I was wondering if they prefer a current? I currenty have a couple sponge filters in the tank but I hooked up a powerhead rated at 165gph and tried it out. All three newts instantly popped out of caves and out from under plants and started walking all around. I'm not sure if they liked it or were trying to escape the current.

My labiatus definitely prefer a current, and from the sound of it, yours do to. You will be noticing that they will be out and about a lot more now and pretty soon they'll start begging for food. ;)

A bit of current would not be a problem for them, particularly if they have hides where they can be out of the current if they choose. Be vigilant about the effect of the powerhead on tank temperature, however. It is sure to heat the water more than the sponge filters (assuming you run the sponges from an air pump).

A bit of current would not be a problem for them, particularly if they have hides where they can be out of the current if they choose. Be vigilant about the effect of the powerhead on tank temperature, however. It is sure to heat the water more than the sponge filters (assuming you run the sponges from an air pump).

I have noticed that since I switched to using powerheads that are designed for outdoor pond use my tank temps only rise by about 3 degrees at the most compared to the 5-7 range I would get with powerheads designed for aquarium use. Food for thought I suppose more than anything just thought I would throw that out there and see if anyone else has noticed this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back