Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Turtles, Tortoises, and Lizards

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I don't keep much outside of my collection of newts/salamanders. With that being said I do have a Green Iguana!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
geeze I don't keep much in the way of heat loving reptiles any more.

I used to breed leopard & pictus geckos.

I used to take in neglected iguanas.

I take in boxturtles every now and then I used to keep sulcattas, until hubby found they needed their own cement reinforced dirt yard so they wouldn't uproot his trees.

I used to keep red eye tree frogs, I still have my whites tree frogs.

Every now and then I catch a rattlesnake in the yard or kingsnake, lol but they're only kept until I have time to drive far enough away to relocate them.

I know I'm missing something but I got tired of the complicated diets, heat rocks, lights, boxes and boxes and boxes of crickets, meal worms, etc. Oh I have an RES - but he lives outside and I never have to anything for him.

Sharon

ReiDragon

Reaction score
2 ball pythons, a Red tail boa, a breeding pair of cornsnakes. A Leopard gecko and a pair of Paddletails.

I also have a tarantula but she isn't a reptile XD

freves

Reaction score
Not much anymore outside of a group of ancient leopard geckos, around a dozen tarantulas, and a fish tank.
Chip

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I have 2 goldfish, 1 bearded dragon, and one snail. I am giving the three toed box turtle to an expert to take proper care of him. This spring I plan on getting a sugar glider or two. Sugar gliders are so cool and cute.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have 2 mata mata turtles about 7 inches long, a female red foot, 2 box turtles, 4 ft+ California King that must be close to 10 years old. A pair of tangerine milks, a speckled king that I just got, 3 barking tree frogs, one wood frog, 1 Northern Blue tongue skink and 1 Indo Blue tongue, and a bunch of Dumbo eared rats plus 9 cats and a wife

Abrahm

Reaction score
I have a single Chinese water dragon and a western hognose snake for reptiles. Amphibians are far more interesting to me than reptiles.

This spring I plan on getting a sugar glider or two. Sugar gliders are so cool and cute.

You'll probably want to do a lot of research on these guys. I don't think they make very good pets and are quite nocturnal.

shellysue

Reaction score
I have 2 axies, 1 horsfield tort, 1 RE Slider, 4 mississippi maps 7 g land snails and a tank with a dwarf frog, out doors a pond with gold fish and a pond with newts and frogs and if any survived toads.
I want more british native toads and newts

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Nowadays, I have 2 green iguanas. This is one of them, and my budgerigar.

2830926418_34ab32c279_m.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 goldfish, 1 bearded dragon, and one snail. I am giving the three toed box turtle to an expert to take proper care of him.
I'm sure it was difficult decision to give up the turtle, but it's probably a good choice for the turtle. To keep a box turtle healthy long-term requires a lot of specialized care, preferably with an outdoor enclosure. I have a box turtle under my care, and I'm considering doing the same thing.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I have one Goffin's cockatoo, two love birds, one large male sulcata named doggy, a breeding group of Herman's and horsfield's, bunch of desert box turtles, two Sri Lanka star tortoises, a breeding group of Bolson tortoises (kept in Mexico) and a leopard tortoise. Plus a fish tank.

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
two donated three toed box turtles
two donated red ear sliders
(owners moved, got hard hectic life, now I take care of them, I LOVE these guys)
freshwater shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda , Neocaridina heteropoda var. red)
red wriggler worms
every now and then triops and brine shrimps.
Lots of plants, aquatic plants and mosses, organic veggie gardens. Planting several small paw-paw orchards this year hopefully.
Every now and then, babysit the parents silky Terrier.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok here comes my list; red-eared sliders, Rio Grande River cooters, common musk turtle, common snapping turtle, yellow-bellied sliders, Eastern box turtles, painted turtle, standing's day geckos, green anoles, Asian house gecko, leopard geckos, and panther geckos. Man I hope I didn't forget something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1