Axis tank set ups and my axolotls them selfs.

lisalee2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
lisa
Here is some pictures of my axolotl tanks it would be great if you all cauld tell me what you think to them.I have also added pics of all 7 of my axolotls aswell, Any feed back would be great as my animals me the world to me.

Attachments

• GEDC0871.jpg
    GEDC0871.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 558
  • GEDC0870.jpg
    GEDC0870.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 529
  • GEDC0872.jpg
    GEDC0872.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,581
  • GEDC0817.jpg
    GEDC0817.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 310
  • GEDC0596.jpg
    GEDC0596.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,267
  • GEDC0685.jpg
    GEDC0685.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 314
  • GEDC0746.jpg
    GEDC0746.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 332
  • GEDC0681.jpg
    GEDC0681.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,096
Wow those are great set ups in my opinion. I've never seen the orange ball things before, what are they made of? Your axies are all very pretty as well and look quite content :happy:

Thank you. those orange ball things are stones you can get them from garden centres but make sure there washed properly before puting them in, they have been in the girls tank a while now and i recon they like them as there easy to grip on to when walking, but as you can see the other 2 tanks are bear as there still young and like to find there small poop as with stones its harder.

Hi Lisalee,

What beautiful plump axolotls you have! I am however a tad concerned about the use of the black and white gravel and round pebbles. It appears in some of the photos that these are actually small enough to be accidentally swallowed which can cause impaction. This is potentially fatal. I highly recommend you remove the gravel and pebbles and either leave your tank bare bottomed or switch to sand.

Bare bottomed tanks actually enhanced the beauty of your axolotls. They are also much easier to clean. If you wish to have a substrate, sand is safe and can still make your tank look attractive. Sand can also allow the axolotls to have something to grip on while 'walking'. Some people feel that having something to grip on reduces stress in axolotls but actually they do fine on a bare bottomed tank.

You might also like to consider adding a few hiding spots like pots, caves etc.

Cheers

The black and white stones have been in freckles tank for about 3 years and theres been no problem they are actually not that small they are quite big an if i thought he was in danger i would take them straight out, Have had sand before but it seems to dissaper when cleaning them out and i dont know if its just me but the water goes misty when i have put sand in the tanks.
The reason the wild type and the 2 golden axolotls havent got alot in there tanks is because they are going in to the bigger tanks quite soon and the gold axis yank is quite small if i put more pots etc in there tank they wouldnt have anoth room to move so we are puting a divider in the girls tank so they have more room, while we are on the subject how many axolotls can you have in a 4ft by 2ft by 2 ft and a 3ft by 1 and half ft by 2ft as i have 7 axolotls but they all seem to be femals apart from freckles so i think im going to struggle to put them all in to one tank,think im going to have to buy a 6ft to 8ft tank soon what do you recon. Sorry this is so long but got some thing else to ask my golden axolotls are very slim they are about 6 or 7 months old but havent got a big bulge on them behind the back legs it only looks small so not sure what sex they are if i post a pic of them cauld some one try and help me figger out there sex.

while we are on the subject how many axolotls can you have in a 4ft by 2ft by 2 ft and a 3ft by 1 and half ft by 2ft

In the 4ft tank you could put comfortably 4 or 5 axies and in the 3ft tank you could put 3 to 4 axies.

golden axolotls are very slim they are about 6 or 7 months old but havent got a big bulge on them behind the back legs it only looks small so not sure what sex they are if i post a pic of them cauld some one try and help me figger out there sex.

Post a pic, thats not a problem. However, at that age you might not be able to tell yet.

I will take some pics to night and post them on here duck thank you for your reply kira.x

Lovely tanks and lovely axolotls! Love the Greek pot looking things -- are they from garden centres too. Thanks for sharing. :happy:

Thank you optimist, yeh the pots was from a garden centre too and they are cheep, axis love going in them. Going to buy some tubes like plumbers use if you know what i meen you can get difrent shapes and sizes so axis should love going in side them.

Those look like some of the happiest axolotls I've seen. Well done and thanks for sharing.

the tanks look GREAT and your axies seem very happy Good Job!

Thank you redtab. I hope they are happy and i hope they know how much we love them well all the animals in our house but yeh thanks.

Just thought i would say the golden axolotls are not in that tank now i have moved them in to freckles tank and devided the big fella from the little ones and they have an extra pot in there side and a couple more nicer plants.Ill post pics on her soon.

Just wanted to say that you did a great job with the tank, and your axies are looking great! Oh I want a leustic of my own! ;) (jealous)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back