Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted Salamander impossible to observe?

supergrappler

Reaction score
I just got a newly morphed spotted salamander this past weekend. He has adjusted well and eats wax worms and crickets without a problem, granted his food hops or wriggles in front of his face. His terrarium is setup with moist coco fiber substrate, some old leaves, a small swimming hole he can immerse in, and a driftwood house with moss in it.

The thing is I may have created too good of a hideout from him. The only time he comes out is after 3am. If I stay up late enough he will swim and walk around. Is this normal? Do any of you think that I have created too good of a hiding space for him? The room i keep him in is quiet and dark. Would a black light be good for observing his nocturnal activity?

HELP...sorry I am new to caring for this species.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Spotted salamanders are notoriously shy. The behavior yours is exhibiting sounds perfectly normal.

The space you are keeping him in, as well as the setup you have him in both sound just right to me.

As for a black light, I can't really answer that one. I just use a plain old flash light to observe mine at night.

-One last comment... In case you are not aware, it is illegal to own any member of the genus Ambystoma in the state of California. There are several threads explaining the reasoning and history behind this law that can be found on the forum. I am of course, assuming "NorCAL" stands for, "Northern California."

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, this all sounds normal. I do not think you have created too good of a hiding space. Being able to hide during the day is important to this animal's health - being exposed would be stressful. You just have to be content with an animal that you won't see very often.

A black light may not be a good idea, as I think these bulbs are incandescent and thus give off heat? If so, this would be bad.

newtamander

Reaction score
-One last comment... In case you are not aware, it is illegal to own any member of the genus Ambystoma in the state of California. There are several threads explaining the reasoning and history behind this law that can be found on the forum. I am of course, assuming "NorCAL" stands for, "Northern California."
Does this apply to Vermont?!

supergrappler

Reaction score
I agree, this all sounds normal. I do not think you have created too good of a hiding space. Being able to hide during the day is important to this animal's health - being exposed would be stressful. You just have to be content with an animal that you won't see very often.

A black light may not be a good idea, as I think these bulbs are incandescent and thus give off heat? If so, this would be bad.

Yeah you are right, these bulbs do give off heat. When he comes out of his house which is seldom he seems very happy. He eats almost everyday and he has grown 1/8th of an inch in the past week! So I think he is doing well.

I have heard that in the Spring they become more active.

And to the other guy, yes I know the laws and why they are in place. Hybridization w/CA salamanders and possibly out-competing native species is the primary reason. However I do not plan on releasing it out in the wild, nor do I plan on exporting or breeding it. Bullfrogs and development seem to be the major threat to California native amphibians. Chitrid (sp?) seems to be a factor too especially for red legged, and yellow legged frogs.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I can't say I agree with breaking the law but florescent lights give off less heat than the incandescent ones. And there are florescent blacklights. The ballast in the fixture gives off heat though - this is can offset to some extent by raising the light above the tank a bit.

My true aquarium light produces less heat w/the same florescent bulb that is in a kitchen fixture.

Something to look into.

Sharon

supergrappler

Reaction score
I can't say I agree with breaking the law <----hai hai, wakarimashi-ta------:pbut florescent lights give off less heat than the incandescent ones. And there are florescent blacklights. The ballast in the fixture gives off heat though - this is can offset to some extent by raising the light above the tank a bit.

My true aquarium light produces less heat w/the same florescent bulb that is in a kitchen fixture.

Something to look into.

Sharon

Hell yah! I will look into this flourescent light fixture for sure.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
gah I forgot to mention that it was once up for debate that long term use of that light could cause cancer in fish so I'd use it for term viewing only - or only once in a while..

lol and you'd better get it!!

amkid247

Reaction score
I have a little guy who morphed over the summer and he just started burrowing recently. He always watches out his holes during the day though and he comes out pretty shortly after the lights go out.

supergrappler

Reaction score
I have a little guy who morphed over the summer and he just started burrowing recently. He always watches out his holes during the day though and he comes out pretty shortly after the lights go out.

Nice! Mine morphed a few months ago. I figured out a way to know when he comes out of hiding. I put some crispy dry leaves in his tank, so when he walks around it makes a crackling sound.

Steve Roman

Reaction score
Would a black light be good for observing his nocturnal activity?
HELP...sorry I am new to caring for this species.

Black light is a generic term for an ultra violet spectrum emitting light. These can be florescent, incandescent or even LED. Most common are the florescent variety.
While it may not harm him in short term use, long exposure would be another matter. Ambystomids, as most amphibians, have delicate skin. I would not advise its use.
An infrared or red light might be best for observing him at night without disturbing him, provided it is not too close and is not heating up his cage.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Please take to heart what Steve stated about UV light aka black lights. Do not use these - UV light may be harmful to your salamander.

Last edited:

ferret_corner

Reaction score
For my Tiger sal - the lights are on backwards. The light is on at night so he comes out during the day. Since he is in a burrow while the light is on - I don't see any harm to him.

Sharon

supergrappler

Reaction score
Please take to heart what Steve stated about UV light aka black lights. Do not use these - UV light may be harmful to your salamander.

Word up.

I recently put in some dry leaves into his terrarium. Now whenever he emerges I can hear the leaves crackling. No black light for the spotty. :ufo:

supergrappler

Reaction score
For my Tiger sal - the lights are on backwards. The light is on at night so he comes out during the day. Since he is in a burrow while the light is on - I don't see any harm to him.

Sharon

This is interesting, and if my schedule changes I may try this. I am never home during the day because of school, work, and studying at the library. Oh how I miss my friends and playing sports... Oh well, career is more important at this point.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
And to the other guy, yes I know the laws and why they are in place. Hybridization w/CA salamanders and possibly out-competing native species is the primary reason. However I do not plan on releasing it out in the wild, nor do I plan on exporting or breeding it.
As stated in our privacy policy and forum rules, I remind you that we willingly assist authorities in any investigations they wish to pursue regarding users of this site who are in violation of said users' local laws.

supergrappler

Reaction score
As stated in our privacy policy and forum rules, I remind you that we willingly assist authorities in any investigations they wish to pursue regarding users of this site who are in violation of said users' local laws.

i meant to say hamsters?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!