Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help with Skinny Male

sean n dad

Reaction score
Hi All,
Need some help/suggestions with this male. I have posted pictures of the pair & the setup. The female is plump and feeds well. The female swims around and is fairly active. The male seems to move about quite a bit, but I have been concerned about him, since he seems to have lost weight. I have them in a 30gal tank with a rock formation along the back of the tank. Water is temp is usually around 70 deg F/21 deg F. However I checked tank tonight and water temp is at 62 degrees. I have a finished basement and I keep all the newts here. The room temps bounces between mid 50's to high 60's. All the other newts, 3 Eastern Newts(Noto. viridescens), a pair of Tylototriton Shanjing, a pair of Kwiechowensis and a pair of Triturus marmoratus are all eating and doing well and are fed the same foods & keep in same room.
I feed these guys crickets, orange isopods, wax worms and cherry shrimp & scuds are in the water. I also feed them live glass worms, black worms & daphnia, frozen blood worms by Hikari.
I have recently isolated the male in a rubbermaid bin with coco fibre, cork husks for hiding places & a small bowl of water. Then added ispods, spring tails & 1/8 size crickets. So this way he gets all the foods.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

• DSCN1242.jpg
    DSCN1242.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 856
  • DSCN1233.jpg
    DSCN1233.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • DSCN1227.jpg
    DSCN1227.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 648
  • DSCN1225.jpg
    DSCN1225.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 2,215

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Other than indeed isolating and keeping an eye on him, I have no suggestion. But how is the male doing now? Any signs of improvement?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The poor thing looks pretty bad....
The skin is starting to look a bit weird, so i´d suggest that it might have a bacterial/fungal infection (although it may not be the original problem).
How long have you had them for? and are they WC? If they are, there´s a possibility that the animal is succumbing to parasites, or any illness that it might have carried or acquired during the importation. WC kaiseri are known to develop problems in captivity...that´s why i mention it.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
This may be a weird suggestion but have you tried smelling it? I've had animals with bacterial infections that smelled weird. Try to compare the smell with other healthy animals. Be sure to clean your hands after handling the sick animal though, you wouldn't want to transfer any diseases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1