Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jumping!!!

meredith

Reaction score
Help my aoxlotol has today started jumping in and out of the water. Almost like he is trying to get out.
He was fine last night, this morning I found him jumping up and down in a corner. When he stopped he started swimming around rapidly, then cornered himself again and started bashing up and back at the glass of the tank.
His mate is perfectly normal but I have always had problems with this one.
Why would he be trying to jump out the tank!?!?!?!?!:eek:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi meredith,

Jumping axolotls are not uncommon, hence the recommendation to always have a tank lid on.

There are many reasons why an axolotl may attempt to jump out. Reasons include being startled such as by switching on a bright light when the tank is in a dark room, sudden vibration such as dropping something heavy on the floor, sudden human or animal traffic past the tank etc. It could also be something in the tank such as an aggressive tank mate.

Some types of parasites can also cause an irritation such that the axolotl may twitch and attempt to scratch and jump. In some rarer cases, neurological disorders can manifest as unusual behaviour or activity such as thrashing around the tank wildly and jumping.

In most instances however, the axolotl, especially if its still young, is just energetic and inquisitive and there is nothing to be worried about.

Cheers

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Meredith,

Axolotls will dart around the tank when badly frightened, but if this is a common occurance than there is likely something in the tank environment which is stressing this axolotl.

Axies are very sensitive to water quality. Could you advise on your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and tank temperature?

Is there any water movement at all in the tank? Axolotls prefer still water and currents in the water will stress them out.

Are you able to post a photo of the tank setup?

How long have you had the axolotls?

Has the tank been cycled?

Young juvenile axolotls are certainly more active than adults and tend to be better swimmers too.

BUT, if this axie's constant swimming is frantic, the axolotl is crashing into walls, and the axie is trying to get out of the water, and this is a common occurance, then there is something wrong.

Nat

Reaction score
Help my aoxlotol has today started jumping in and out of the water. Almost like he is trying to get out.
He was fine last night, this morning I found him jumping up and down in a corner. When he stopped he started swimming around rapidly, then cornered himself again and started bashing up and back at the glass of the tank.

Could be too hot? I keep a small light with mine and they are happy with that- I only use it at night and very overcast days. People have old me, particularly from Aus, that when they get hot, they leap for cool air as they're stressed. Try floating some bottles of frozen water in there?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1