My Chinensis Tank New LooK

eFaN

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Display Name
EsFuAeN
i did an overhaul of the whole tank. It used to be this bare, no filter,10gallon tank with only 1 driftwood. (no pics of it though)

My newt escaped (i underestimated their escaping ability) but found it again 11 days later on my kitchen floor still healthy as ever. (i thought it would be dead and dried up by then :confused:)

So thats when i started to give my tank a new look (and escape proof to0).

Bought a piece of tree bark and some wood... still planning..
barkkk2.jpg

barkkk.jpg

Added sand bought from the local petstore and some anubias nana + mini ext. canister for filtration..

paludariummm.jpg

Added another driftwood (so my newt,who really loves spending most of its time on land, have more place to bask ) and the cycling process begins...

vivariawww.jpg
:D

Here's the final look with all the creatures in there. It houses 1 paramesotrition chinensis and 4 cherry shrimps.

11.jpg

the creatures...

1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

overall..

8.jpg

cheers.

That is a very nice looking tank. I kept some shrimp once with my T. taliangensis. The shrimp seemed to survive at the cooler temperatures but did not breed until I moved them to a heated aquarium.
Chip

That is a very nice looking tank. I kept some shrimp once with my T. taliangensis. The shrimp seemed to survive at the cooler temperatures but did not breed until I moved them to a heated aquarium.
Chip

I took those shrimps from my other 3 month old shrimp tank haha. yep no breeding for me . but this shrimp is acting weird...
shrimpweird.jpg

its not the 1st time this happened..it went all the way up to the top of the driftwood, against the current, and start grazing...
shrimpweird2.jpg

haha im going to observer them these few days...

That's a really really nice tank!
Well done, you have good taste.

That's a really really nice tank!
Well done, you have good taste.

Thanks!! i love the fact that my newt spends most of its time onland/wet area. easy for me to hand feed it everyday,without making the water foul with leftover food u know. :eek:

throne.jpg

this dude is always exploring..
explore1.jpg

cheers.

Chip

How warm do things have to be for them to breed?

I have est. 20 or so in with my ensicauda. They seem to be doing ok and I think I observed females with eggs. Newts so far seem too slow to eat them.

The tank looks amazing! Simple, yet natural...
You´ve got taste.
However i´m not sure it´s the most suitable kind of set-up for your newts.
Paramesotriton are highly aquatic, and should be given enough water.
Your tank has too little water in my opinion. A 10 gallon tank should be fine, provided you are using as much water volume as possible. The more water, the better for your newt, and the better for you, because the water will be easier to keep in perfect conditions.
I´m inclined to thinking the fact that your newt spends so much time on land means it´s not comfortable in the water. And it should be hehe.
Please don´t take this the wrong way...i love the look of the tank, i just think it´s not your best option.

The tank looks amazing! Simple, yet natural...
You´ve got taste.
However i´m not sure it´s the most suitable kind of set-up for your newts.
Paramesotriton are highly aquatic, and should be given enough water.
Your tank has too little water in my opinion. A 10 gallon tank should be fine, provided you are using as much water volume as possible. The more water, the better for your newt, and the better for you, because the water will be easier to keep in perfect conditions.
I´m inclined to thinking the fact that your newt spends so much time on land means it´s not comfortable in the water. And it should be hehe.
Please don´t take this the wrong way...i love the look of the tank, i just think it´s not your best option.

Hey no no i wont take it the wrong way. Feedbacks are awesome haha. i'll fill it with water till half of tank for a start aite. and observe its behaviour from there. will update you guys. cheers! ;)

hmmm.. i dont think there is anything wrong with the water.but im not sure though. when it sleeps (during the day) it is fully underwater. when night comes and he's awake, he will be wandering around,climbing here and there haha. but i'll proceed with adding more water to the tank.

Cheers!

Ive added more water and removed the huge wood at the right of the tank to create more space for it and see how it reacts to the rise in water level. It actually spends much more time in water! :D:D
rise1.jpg

since i cannot hand feed it as much (its in the water most of the time), i did this i minimize the mess created by frozen bloodworms..
rise2.jpg

It seems much happier and calm now haha.. Thanks azhael~!
rise4.jpg

i plan to keep adding water and observe whether he's really comfortable with it or not..

cheers!

Glad to hear it worked.
The more water the better hehe
As you increase the level of water you´ll probably find he eventually becomes completely aquatic.

Glad to hear it worked.
The more water the better hehe
As you increase the level of water you´ll probably find he eventually becomes completely aquatic.

dang you're right! he's really aquatic now. seems much more comfortable inside. no more struggling by the side of tank ( after i removed the active carbon filter from the canister, no more foam is seen at the surface of water,which might be the reason why it really hates the water at fist ). canister is now filled with sponges and biohomes.

this is the water level for now.. hope im on the right track!

1000.jpg

13.jpg

cheers.

Great pictures!

added the water alil bit moreee...

mosscave2100.jpg

added this cute lil moss cavee.. to give em more hiding places..and also shrimps love em!

thecavee.jpg

moss1000.jpg

mosscave61000.jpg

cheers! :D

looking good! and the pictures is awesome!!

Cheers/Tomas

looking good! and the pictures is awesome!!

Cheers/Tomas

hey thanks!! haha.

updates~!

new addition..
green1.jpg

to avoid injuring each other, i assigned them to their individual mini jar during feast time! :D

breaktime1.jpg

breaktime2.jpg

and take those jar out once they are done.

cheers.

That jar idea is genius, as far as limiting the amount of cleaning necessary. How much luck do you have getting them to go to there individual jars?

Gorgeous pics. And lovely newts. I like the feeding jar idea a lot. It's amazing how much larger tanks look in pictures than in person. Never would have guessed it was a 10 gallon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back