No longer like earthworms?

Venus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone!

Over the past few weeks, my terrestrial axolotl, Nessie, has stopped eating earthworms. I usually feed her every second day and rotate her diet between bloodworms, beefheart, crickets and earthworms (very occasionally she gets daphnia and pellets, though it's difficult to feed her that). But the past four rotations she has lost interest in the earthworms. When I dangle it in front of her, she'll look at it curiously and may make a half-hearted snap at first, but she'll just refuse to chomp at it like everything else. I've just tried feeding her the earthworm after three and four days after having no food to see if maybe she simply wasn't hungry enough, but I got the same reaction.

She's not off food completely - if I offer her something else she'll snap it up completely. Her tank's been rather hot lately because of the weather (her water temp's now tropical, but there's nothing much I can do about it), but if anything that should have made her more hungry since she's been more active. I've had the earthworms for a few months and while I've fed them, they're not as healthy/robust as they used to be, so is it possible that she's not eating them because there's something wrong with them? Something I can't see? Has anyone else had this problem where their axolotl/salamander has suddenly become picky with their food? ...Is she somehow training me to provide her with her favourite food more often and is this merely part of her evil plan? :uhoh:

Hi Venus,

I think you already have some answers in the back of your mind.

It is possible that the high temperature of late may have stressed her. Stress can cause inappetance.

But then again it is a good sign she is not off food completely. I would think that as long as she still consumes a variety of other food types, she can still obtain her nutrition. Have you tried live bloodworms and blackworms? Even if she just chooses to eat nothing but bloodworms for example, she would still acquire all the nutrition she needs.

My aquatic axolotls sometime go through episodes of food pickiness. There are periods when they consume earthworms ravenously and then go off them for a while.

Do you know what type of earthworms you are currently feeding? Some earthworms emit a foul substance that can turn off some axolotls.

Cheers

Do you know what type of earthworms you are currently feeding? Some earthworms emit a foul substance that can turn off some axolotls.

Unfortunately I don't know what species of earthworm I'm feeding her. I bought them from the live reptile food section of a local pet store, not from a tackle/bait shop though, if that helps any. She's been eating them for months with no problems, it's just the last month that she's refused. With earthworms, would they emit a foul odour all the time, or only emit under certain circumstances? I'm wondering if buying a 'fresher' packet might solve the problem.

I think you already have some answers in the back of your mind.

LOL! Yeah, I do have a few theories already, pickiness being one of them. I know that my siamese fighting fish has been picky over his food before, and so has my budgie to a lesser extent - I just wasn't sure if axolotls have a tendency to be picky as well. Thought I'd post here in case there's some secret rule somewhere that I haven't heard of, where someone will reply "don't you know? Axolotls always go off earthworms in summer?" or it's some other random issue.

Could you post a photo of your terrestrial Axolotl?

Could you post a photo of your terrestrial Axolotl?

Yeah, sure thing. ;)

I posted pics of her back when I first joined this forum and unfortunately I haven't taken any new photos since. Because of her dark colouration, she's hard to photograph as her small, physical details don't come out too well. But anyway, here are two of my better photos.

nessiehandled.jpg

nessie.jpg

try terrestial foods :D

"Earth-worms"

Earth = terrestrial.

OT:

I would say it is a mix of: temp, pickiness, and quality of food.
Try getting some "fresh" worms.

Also, try "fasting" for a week.

I know after a 3-4 day bender, I would eat anything, souvlaki, 2 day of pizza in the fridge

Goodluck

Even if the water levels are safe and the temps are good, your axie might just not be hungry. leave off feeding for an extra day or two. It worked for me when i had no other food in the house besides a wormery full of fat juicy worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back