Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubbles, Tupac, Rampage and Goku say hello from Melbourne!

PHDaxies

Reaction score
Hi, I'm the proud owner of four axies in Melbourne. I have two black/natural axolotls (Tupac and Bubbles his girl), one golden albino (Goku - so named for his 'super saiyan' episodes) and Rampage, a white leucistic female. They're currently residing in their new tank (with a cannister filter) and are very happy despite the warm weather. I first became interested in axolotls through my boyfriend, who, when he was young, used to always talk to the guy at the market selling 'mexican walking fish'. Now that we're both living in his old area together, we've bought four axies from the same market.

Aside from axolotls I own two black moors (Bert and Ernie), three huge calico goldfish (Yin, Yang and Rambo), a black labrador (Bonnie) and a Jack Russell Chihuahua cross (Kandy).

As you've probably guessed I'm pretty interested in animals and enjoy taking care of my menagerie, even though it gets a bit hectic when everyone wants to be fed at once, or when my Jack Russell/Chihuahua desides to take herself for a run up the street. I also like hardstyle and hard trance and going out in Melbourne.

I'll post pics of my axies as soon as I get my camera up and working, but for now I'll describe them.

Goku, or 'Gokes', is a golden albino with bright red gills who has a lot of character. Sometimes he goes 'Super Saiyan', which means he goes stomping around the tank and or floats by one finger off our plant mid-tank. Goku's the most aggressive feeder - I've lost count of the number of times he's tried to swallow my finger and once he just didn't want to let go. Gokes is one of our original axolotls, one of whom died for reasons we still haven't figured out, and the other one swallowed a rock bigger than her head (it was 2.5 centimetres wide).

Bubbles is little, black and a cutie. She's pretty quiet and likes to get up close and personal with her rock. She's our other original axie and is named after our favourite club and also because when she first came she had a bacterial infection in her gut and had a lot of gas. That's since cleared up.

Rampage is a leucistic female who goes on rampages around the tank. She stomps around a bit like Goku but likes to dig holes in our sand and sit in them. She's pretty new and came to us with only half a tail but is now repairing nicely and eating like a pig. She also likes latching onto my finger, frequently.

Tupac is the little man of the tank. He mostly hangs around Bubbles and they compare their spots. Tupac is new too but he's claimed Bubbles off Goku, which has Goku a bit miffed because so far Rampage has just been giving him the cold tail haha.

Thanks for reading!

PHDaxies

Reaction score
Hehe, yeah my boyfriend named Tupac. I'm guessing somewhere down the line we'll have Biggie Smalls and DMX too....

PHDaxies

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have quite the herd :)

They keep us on our toes! We just had the hottest week in Victoria in 150 years and broke all temperature records - three consecutive days above 43 degrees celsius (about 109 fahrenheit), with night time temperatures at about 29 degrees (84 fahrenheit).

Luckily with a fair bit of hosing the doggies were okay, and with some desk fans and an army of ice bricks we were able to keep the axie tanks at about 23 degrees celsius (73 fahrenheit). Not ideal, but better than an uninhabited tank that got up to 28 degrees. I think we're going to have to seriously look at getting an aquarium chiller given that even our air conditioning started to fail.

b00f

Reaction score
lol, what do your axies think of the hyardstyle pumping...

my axie knew when the music was on :p

welcome, so, your a melbournite? loving the hard music?? good to meet ya.. i also have a wierd thing for axies, and hard music hehe

get some pics up into ya gallery, everyone likes photos.

Also where in melb you from? and where do you shop for your axie supplies?

Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1