Question: What am I?

fishlover1616

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have any guesses even that would be nice. Please help me figure out what they are.

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 179
  • PICT0005.jpg
    PICT0005.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 213
  • PICT0006.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 179
It appears to be the larva of some sort of stream-side species of salamander. Those photos are a bit blurry- could you try to get some better shots? If not, could you give a bit of a description?

Looks like a Desmognathus sp. but anymore than that is an even bigger stab in the dark.

Well if it helps you out any they are from a small stream supplied by a spring in PA to be precise Northeastern part of PA. they are about 6 months from hatch (at least the large one). Thank you for your responses! And I cant get any more of a clear picture at the moment. This one I am uploading now is the clearest my camcorder could get.

Attachments

• PICT0009.jpg
    PICT0009.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 166
Okay judging from the row of spots going down the back kinda make me believe it would be Desmognathus fuscus fuscus or Desmognathus monticola monticola. Keep in mind thats just my guess because dusky salamanders are nortoriously hard to peg an id on sometimes.

Does it have a stripe through it's eyes? It looks like a Eurycea sp. to me, rather than Desmognathus.

Well Nathan you were extremely close they are Eurycea cirrigera Thank you a lot!!! You guys really know what you are doing. Keep up the good work! http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eurycea/Eurycea_sp.shtml Hahahaha they actually had a picture of two salamanders that are identical to mine (the size and everything!). I have spent well over 20 hours of research just on trying to figure out what type they are. Who would have guessed that it would be on the site that I am writing to.

Hehe, I'm glad we could help! Sorry you had to research so much- I probably could've linked you those pages in the very beginning...
Also, they are probably Eurycea Bislineata if you found them in Pennsylvania. E.bislineata and E.cirrigera are both fairly similar in appearance.

Does it have a stripe through it's eyes? It looks like a Eurycea sp. to me, rather than Desmognathus.

Dangitt Nathan I hate it when your right.:p I don't know why in the world Eurycea never crossed my mind. Either way there great salamanders and I hope you enjoy them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back