Just rediscovered axolotls!

kate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Kate
Hey all, im new to the forum, and axolotls really.

I remember having a video tape of interesting animals when i was really really young and axolotls were on there, i was totally fascinated with them at the time even though i couldnt pronounce what they were.

I had always had vague memories of that tape and only recently saw an axolotl and i was like "thats what it was!!" and so i have rediscovered those random little things and am re-fascinated by them!

Needless to say I am looking to own one in the near future so i thought id check out the forum to find out as much as possible before hand. - if anyone knows where i can get hold of one in the Manchester, UK area it would be much appreciated!

So hi from me, and i hope to be chatting to you all soon!

Kate x

P.S. This may seem like a silly question but do all axolotls have such lovely gills? i really like the white, or gold ones with the pink gills, do all white or gold axolotls have gills that colour??

Thanks!

Hi Kate,

You can check out the For Sale (click here) section of this forum for axolotls in your area.

Axolotls' gills are like our noses - we all have one, but they are different for each individual. They can be longer or shorter, bushier or sleeker, etc. In the white or golden ones, the pink color is the blood inside. Even some paler types of the dark axolotls have plum colored gills. There are lots of pictures in the axolotl gallery (click here) of all kinds and shades and variants of axolotls.

If you haven't already found it, check out www.axolotl.org - loads of info there, too.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

Hi, and welcome. They are the most wonderful animals, I agree. :happy: If you are looking for one, try the adverts on here, or somewhere like preloved.co.uk. Eggs are sometimes for sale too. As far as I know, most white axies have red gills, but no doubt there are some exceptions to this.

I'm in a similar situation. Saw pictures of axies when i was younger and didn't know what they were. Saw them on a recent episode of QI, found out the name and immediately started setting up my tank for them.

haha. well, they are pretty neat. I know that I can't stay away from them for long. Like others have said, just check the for sale section--they have axies available off and on. If you are patient, I bet that you could find yourself one to raise. Good luck the the axie hunt.

I'm in a similar situation. Saw pictures of axies when i was younger and didn't know what they were. Saw them on a recent episode of QI, found out the name and immediately started setting up my tank for them.

Haha thats where i saw them again for the first time in ages!! Good old Stephen Fry!

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Now I've got to think of a suitably unique name for one!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back