Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

10 gal OK?

Nic

Reaction score
This site says one axolotl could be housed in a 10 gal, which is 21.25" wide - is this true? They seem to get pretty big for that.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 10-gallon would be the minimum for one. Most axies don't grow much beyond about 7" (18cm), but a very large specimen would surely need a larger tank than that.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Nic,

One axolotl can be housed in a 10 gallon tank but that doesn't mean it is ideal.

If I was you I would go for a bigger one then when you are ready to get another axolotl you won't have to get a bigger tank.

Good Luck

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Does the size of the tank effect in any way the ultimate maximum size of an axi?

Some creatures (& I am struggling with my memory to think of an example) will restrict growth in limited space.

Just wondering - I'm all for as much space as possible for any creature.

Heather

Kal El

Reaction score
G'day Heather

I, too, have heard/read comments that imply that the size of the tank can dictate an animal's growth. But truth be told, this is just an old wives' tale.

The reason why some people see truth in this is because if you were to house an animal in a tank that is clearly too small for it, i.e. one that minimises locomotion, it will eventually die. Why? Because it cannot move around for starters, nor can it obtain food. Also, the toxicity in the tank will reach a dangerous point. Poor husbandry is one of the biggest factors that result in death. Stress also plays a crucial role in housing. Increased stress will mean that the animal will let down its defenses and become more susceptible to pathogens, whether they are virulent or not.

To put it simply, your axolotl will continue to grow so long as you feed it; irrespective of the size of the tank. But, obviously it will peak at its maximum size.

Oh, by the way, I think the fish that you're thinking about is the common goldfish ;)

Jay.

P.S. There is an article called the "Specific Growth Rate and the Level of Energy Metabolism in the Ontogeny of Axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum", by I. G. Vladimirova, S. Yu. Kleimenov, T. A. Alekseeva, and L. I. Radzinskaya. It's worth the read.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Heather,

You brought up an interesting point. I am not aware of any particular scientific research that has explored this area.

I would infer that with a small limited space, the axie's growth can be affected indirectly. Confined to a small space, there is of course the risk of poor water parameters and lack of hiding places, which in turn translates into stress. Stress would subsequently result in immunocompromise, inappetance and susceptibility to infections and illnesses in axolotls. Stress would be further compounded if the tank has too high stocking density (overcrowding), presence of aggressive animals or axolotls all vying for food, hiding places etc.

Inappetant, stressed animals would have poorer feed conversion rates because energy and nutrients are assimilated for fighting infections for example rather than geared towards optimal growth.

I have come across some misinformation from pet shop newsletters etc. that warned of keeping axolotls being kept in small bowls resulting in lop sided development of swim bladder. Axolotls do not have swim bladders. We want to provide ample space for axolotls for easier tank management and welfare reasons.

Cheers

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEVER house an axie in a 10g. I tried it with my axie and we could NEVER get the ammonia down to a safe level even after doing everything possible to help. I ended up with a 20g tank that cycled in a week once I put all the same stuff that was in the 10g tank. It is not worth risking your axies health. Besides think how much happier he/she would be with more wiggle room!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1