Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl bit another axies gills off

bob2143

Reaction score
I reccently bought another axolotl, waffle, and i just noticed that he has 1 and a half gills missing. He had a full set when i bought him, so it wasn't the pet shop. When i picked up waffle earlier and dropped her back in the water my gold axolotl Muffin must have thought she was food and bit at her. I thought he had missed but i now realise i was mistaken.

My main question is how long will it take for her gills to grow back.

bob2143

ferret_corner

Reaction score
There isn't any hard and fast rule for how fast parts grow back.

Feed well, keep the water clean and keep the stress down and those will all help the gills grow back optimally.

They aren't meant to be handled. Nets damage gills too.

How much larger is one axolotl than another because if one is a lot bigger it will eat the other.

Sharon

Melanie

Reaction score
I would probably separate the two untill you have good regeneration on the gills and/or they become closer in size to each other to prevent recurrant cannibalism. I am not an expert but I would figure that having the new axolotl in a shallower water depth might be beneficial too, being that it is now operating on 1/4 of a gill I would think that it might tend to gulp for air for a while untill it has enough gill to recieve oxygen from the water. The shallower depth may make it easier to reach the surface, causing less stress. Also, make sure to keep an eye out for fungus growth.
Keep us updated.

bob2143

Reaction score
ok they are very well oxygenated so i don't think that is a problem and my only other tank is not big enough for waffle so i think that she should be alright if he keep her under close examination.

No the other axie is not big enough to eat waffle but thanks anyway.

Thank you for all the help.

bob2143

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi bob2143,

The ladies have given you excellent advice. Just another note that injury sites would be very prone to secondary infection, usually either by fungus or bacteria. Therefore you have to keep a very close eye on your axie and ensure the water parameters are ideal.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!