new to owning axie's

stampysmam

Reaction score
Country
England
Hiya everyone, The axies belong to my daughter,but she's taken them to uni with her. This site has helped us loads, mainly cos we did have gravel in the tank, which we realised could cause their deaths, so now they have sand and we've also lowered the temperature of the tank, although the ammonia levels are still dodgy, would nutrafin cycle help do you know? And can we put any other fish in the tank or will it be better they're left alone? She has two axie's in a 48litre tank.

First off, Hi and welcome :happy:

the ammonia levels are still dodgy, would nutrafin cycle help do you know?
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to - is nutrafin cycle a product? If so, it's not recommended to use any excess products or chemicals in the water (aside from dechlorinator), as axies have sensitive skin and it could harm them. I'm assuming it's a product meant to help out the cycling process - unless it is a refrigerated one, it probably won't do much. You need established bacteria to boost the cycle, which just die if you try to stick it in a bottle and put it on the shelf. Try using the search function on this site to look up information on it though - some people may have had success with it. If you haven't already, check out this site for cycling information - http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

You probably already know this, but while your tank is cycling you need to be doing 20% water changes every day to keep the ammonia as close to 0 as possible. With that tank, you probably need to do them more often than that.

And can we put any other fish in the tank or will it be better they're left alone
There are many, many threads on this - even one in the last few days. If you check out the axolotl forum you're bound to find more information on mixing species, especially if you use the search function. The short answer is NO - axies don't mix with anything but axies, and possibly a suitable snail of the right size. Here's a thread on it - http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59457
Check this one out for good measure - http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

She has two axie's in a 48litre tank
This is really quite small - tank dimensions are more important than capacity, although no matter how you go about it this tank is probably too small for even 1 axie - A 2ft x 1ft tank is a good size for one, which is usually between 60 and 80L. What are the measurements of yours? A good guide is to have at least 45cm per axie, so you should look at getting something at least 80cm long for 2 of them - 3ft would be ideal.

Good luck with your axies - if you can find the time, have a look around the axolotl forum and I'm sure you'll find lots of valuable information :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back