Illness/Sickness: Please help I think my axie is going to die

Snazzagazza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Tom
Hi, my axies head is swollen to quite a large size and has not eaten in 13 days i have enclosed 2 pictures the 1st before the problem, the 2nd at the moment. Any help would be great
Thanks Tom

Attachments

• HG.jpg
    HG.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_4011.jpg
    100_4011.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 173
An update on my axies, the tank waters temp was way to high and its slowly coming down, Amonia is fine and he is in the fridge:confused:. Is this going to help?
Cheers Tom:cool:

silly question... have you tried to look into his mouth for an obstruction? It looks to me like some of those stones are small enough to get into his mouth.

Update

Geosheets thanks for the negativity while im pleading for help although good idea. We have checked his mouth, there are no obstructions except what looks to be a swollen lump at the top of his mouth. The water temp is avaging 14 degrees celsius and he has been in the fridge for about 4 hours
Cheers Tom

Hi Tom,

I think Geosheets was wondering if the axolotl could have a rock in its mouth.

I have seen swelling like this two times before. The first time, there had been an injury (the axoltol got a mouthful of catfish spine) and the second time, the axolotl had an infection (chlamydia). In the first case, the swelling went away on its own; in the second, the swelling went away after the axolotl was given salt baths with iodine, but returned immediately after the salt baths were stopped; an antibiotic was necessary to do the trick.

These are only the two similar cases I have seen, and my experience is limited. If it is at all possible for you, you may want to take the axolotl to a vet and have them do a blood test for infections.

Good luck to you,

-Eva

Hi Tom,

Firstly i have to say we are all here with the intent to help you through. Geosheets meant well when he suggested checking for an obstruction. That would be a logical step and i don't see it as negative in any way.

Based on the picture and the sudden onset of the swelling, my top differentials would include trauma (local inflammatory reaction), abscess (such as from bacterial infection). and granuloma (fungal, foreign body, mycobacteria spp.).

Fridging will definitely help destress the axolotl and render the environment less hospitable for pathogens to proliferate. It would buy you some time. It is good that you are checking water temperature and parameters as they can contribute to the problem.

I think the best idea now is to send your axie to a vet who can do the necessary diagnostics to work up on the case and give appropriate treatment.

Regards

Re: Update

Geosheets thanks for the negativity while im pleading for help although good idea.

Tom, not sure what you perceived as negative but I was merely trying to offer a logcial possibility.

I would assume that checking for an obstruction(stone, tumor, etc) in his mouth would be a logical first step of diagnosis for most people... I hate to assume things though so I start with asking the obvious(to me). I said I had a 'silly question' as I didn't want to insult your intelligence by asking such a basic question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back