Best Plants/Hinding Places?

Tman576

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Toby
Hey guys

I my axolotl tank set up with a large fake plant and one hinding spot/cave in it, there is sand and the bottom and a few large stones.

I was thinking of renewing the set up e.g getting rid of the fake plant so.... my question is that is the best sort of FAKE plant to have in a axolotl tank and wat sort of hinding places should i get ...baring in mind the tank is only 2 foot long by 1/1.5 foot wide.

and suggestions would be a great help

Hi Tman,

I don't have artificial plants in my tank but i would think that soft silk type plants would be less abrasive and more natural looking than the plastic ones. Perhaps a bushy plant would provide more ''hiding space"".

You can use pots, small brick caves, tunnel logs and aquarium caves as hiding spots.

Cheers

thanks alot!

do you have and links pics of tank set ups i can look at apart from the one on axolotl.org???

it would be a great help

Hi Tman,

You can draw inspiration from some of the tank setups by other axolotl enthusiasts here. Take a look via the 'gallery' link you see up on the panel.

You can also take a look at some profile page galleries. Check out havelock's, blueberlin's, lisalee's profiles just to name a few. They can seriously consider going commercial with tank interior designing.

Cheers

oh ok thanks

i think my tank will look rubbish compared to theres
and i've just left you a profile message by the way haha

and another thing i see the rep bars and see that you have alot so how do you get rep i know people give it to you but how do you make (by make i don't really want to make them if you get me?) give it to me?

Thanks

Hi Tman,

One tip I have: get the plastic plant that looks like hornwort and pull the stems out from the base and let them float at the top of the water. This provides shade and the axolotls (at least mine) like to play in it.

Other than that, you can look for inspiration for tank setups in various places around this forum. The Caudata Culture site has an article on tank setups. The axolotl forum has a gallery, there is a members gallery, and then there is a vivaria section with photos and suggestions for (live) plants.

Isn't tank setup fun?

-Eva

P.S. You get rep points by giving people advice that makes them feel moved to clicking on the button and giving you a compliment or a thanks. Assuming they know about rep points, of course.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back