Questions about Tanks and Juvies

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
Country
United States
2 quick questions.
First would it be possible to keep 2 axies aprox age 11 weeks in a 10 gal tank together for 4 weeks? At the end of a this time second baby would go to my friend and I would just have my one axie in the 10g tank
Second, I have JUST gotten the 10g tank cycled. Would it be worth it or benefical to switch my axie into a 20g tank and have to go through teh whole cycling process again or should I just leave him as is.

Its more about size and behaviour of the axolotls if this is short term.

If you have lots of hiding places, if they fit comfortably in there with turning around and bumping into one another, I think the 10 gl is fine for a temporary home.

Leave them where they are now and start cycling the 20 gl. When its ready just drop the axy in.

Sharon

There would be a divider between them. Regarding the 20g I have no where to put it but where the 10g currently is. I can have one or the other going but not both.

Hi Robertskitty,

At this stage your axies are still tiny babies so i would think leaving them in your current tank would be fine since its only temporary. The divider would be useful.

However, you would have to be very careful and diligent with water parameters and changes. They grow rapidly and their wastes even more exponentially. You won't want ammonia and nitrites to creep up and sneak up on you like an assassin. Remember to test your water regularly and perform 20% water changes with clean dechlorinated water as and when required. (I would say at least once or twice a week based on your small tank)

To accelerate your cycling process in your bigger tank, you can actually transfer the water from your old tank as well as ornaments, plants, sand and even submersible tank equipment like airstone, filter outlets etc into the new tank. There will be bacteria on those surfaces and would reduce the cycling time. Top up your new tank with more clean dechlorinated water and keep it well aerated. You can try things like stress zyme if you like although the efficacy is somewhat controversial.

Meanwhile if you feel your old tank is too small to accomodate two axies, why not fridge one since its only for 4 weeks??

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back