Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Glowing green guys

FROGPUNK

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have updated pics of the green axis that M. Shroom has been selling? I am looking forward to seeing more of these guys.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Photos like that make me green :D with envy. Its especially worse when i know i can't acquire them in Australia.

This would typically be a sit on the ground, bawl my eyes out, demand that i get the glowy axie moment, alas i know no amount of temper throwing will serve any purpose.

:famous:

ianclick

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to make a predominantly nocturnal creature glow in the dark.

Is this a because we can thing or does it serve some useful scientific purpose?

kira

Reaction score
This would typically be a sit on the ground, bawl my eyes out, demand that i get the glowy axie moment, alas i know no amount of temper throwing will serve any purpose.

Awwwwww, poor Ray!!

Although, I have to admit I would love one too!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to make a predominantly nocturnal creature glow in the dark.

They were originally produced for scientific study. It makes it easier to track things.

I've put photography on the back burner for now. My son Nevin has taken some good pictures for me and I'll post them when they are loaded on my computer. It looks like instead of me purchasing the camera I wanted I'll be getting a good macro lens for Nevin so he can do more work for me.

Nathan050793

Reaction score

I also thought that I might add that they don't really glow in the dark- they glow under a UV light. Right?

Kal El

Reaction score
Nathan050793 said:
I also thought that I might add that they don't really glow in the dark- they glow under a UV light. Right?

I'm relieved that you pointed this out, as this is a common misconception. They actually fluoresce under UV (at a particular wavelength) radiation.

You may have read this already, but this thread discusses GFP axolotls in great depth: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54119.

Jay.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1