My Rubber Lizard

duggie26

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Doug
Caudata.org helped me identify a Tiger Salamander that came to me in a most serendipitous way. I was repairing outdoor lighting with a landscaping company last October when I uncovered something that looked very much like a rubber lizard. I knew the motionless creature in my hands was no toy when it suddenly looked up at me. Our crew was tearing up its neighborhood, so it did not quite know what to do or where to go when I released it. I finally took it home after fishing it out of the swimming pool.

I joined this forum because your knowledgeable experience helped me make a home for my salamander, and your fascinated enjoyment of these creatures will provide me a place to share mine. My teenaged daughter is amused that I am so interested in an animal that just sits around all day. However, she thinks it is just hilarious that I have joined a caudate-oriented social network! I can only say that nature may just grab her fancy some day.

Last edited:
Hey Doug

i think its great you found a tiger salamander i wish you could do that were in england i had to get mine from a pet shop haha =]

maybe your daughter will come around soon, like i said i keep a tiger myself so if you need any help send me a message or if i'm in chat talk to me i will try and help!

i would love to see some pictures, your tank set up and so on! how big is he/she?

anyway it sounds great i hope the little guy likes his new home ...(i'm sure he does)

Thanks

Hi Doug,

My teenaged daughter thinks I'm a nerd, too, since I got my axolotls. I take comfort in the thought that she must have had me at some small height if I was able to fall. :rolleyes:

(She secretly loves them, too, I just know it.)

Congratulations on your new tiger, and welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

I would have gotten my Tiger from a pet store too had I not been in the right place at the right time. I've read that they are pretty common where I live but are rarely seen because they burrow so much. I don't have a digital camera so I have no pictures to share right now. My Tiger measured 6¼ inches last night and he (maybe) seems happy with his 14 × 8 plastic pet store box now. However, he will need new housing soon because this juvenile has been growing about a quarter inch every couple weeks. Thanks for your kind offer of help, T-Man. I'd enjoy seeing pictures of your Tiger if you've posted it and pictures of its home now that there is some interior decorating in my future.

Blue Berlin, I know that my daughter secretly likes my salamander too. Why else would her friends know so much about salamander feeding time?!? Thank you for your welcome message.

Welcome Doug. You certainly have an unusual pet. The general consensus is that they are the best amphibian pet there is, though some individual animals can be timid. I was struck by the way you found him. It reminds me of an account some friends of mine in the panhandle of Texas gave me last Autumn: whenever they do any gardening on their property (you know, planting small flowers, turning the earth) they always find barred tiger salamanders. I had never really heard this before that time so it's a nice insight to hear of from elsewhere.

I would very much like to see a photo of your monster.

Hi & welcome!!

Congrats on your new rubber lizard! heeheehe I'm really looking forward to pics of your tiger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back