Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Update on Tank & Kickstand

cdazley

Reaction score
Here are some new pics of Tank & Kickstand & their forever changing home :rolleyes:....
When I first received these 2 (Nov 2008, both 13 months old) they only had 1 leg & 6 stubs....Tank has both his back legs now & as well as Kickstand who has posed for a great picture showing her front leg growing :happy: The changes in their size and re-growth is just amazing in such a short time.
They still do the "mating" dance (spermacones included) at least 2 times a week (it is very sweet) & to much amazement ~ no eggs yet....I guess Kickstand just does not get over top of the cones correctly, Tank pushes her all around them & sometimes he even gets under her and carries her to them but still...no eggs....
The tank is still a "work in progress" but I think I am getting closer to the set-up they want for their own little paradise.....they are sooooo spoiled :love:

Attachments

• Time to eat.jpg
    Time to eat.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 275
  • Kickstand.jpg
    Kickstand.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Tank is growing.jpg
    Tank is growing.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 286
  • Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN0009_edited.jpg
    DSCN0009_edited.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 242

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi cdazley,

Outstanding job. Your axies are on the mend, the tank is beautiful. Your axies are definitely in very safe hands and would give you many years of joy.

Cheers

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh wow! I want to live there - it looks a paradise.

Now I feel I know why Tank is called Tank, it's all in the attitude. I'm curious, where did the name Kickstand originate?

cdazley

Reaction score
Kickstand is the one that came with the "1 leg" :p so it just fit perfectly! The 1 leg she did come with seems to be growing a little "thick", I counted 7 toes on it today :happy:
Tank used to just "plow" through the sand when he had no legs at all, what a soilder, he did not seem to mind at all!

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What an imaginative, colorful aquarium and what lovely axolotls! Good that they are spoiled - best thing one can do with an axie, right? :D

Thanks for the pretty pics,

-Eva

Lacey

Reaction score
Just browsing through older posts. I'm extremely late, but you're tank looks absolutely fantastic. I better stop myself looking through these, because i get extremely jelous. Then decide to use all my money on things, that will only be replaced the week after!
Well done!

cdazley

Reaction score
Vidofner~That made me laugh, I always thought that made them look "special" too :happy: Poor things, they still have nubs for front legs....I wonder if they wll ever grow?? I have had them for 7 months...that makes them 1 1/2 yrs old....the growth is sooooo slow. I guess since they are older I should consider they might not ever grow back completely. Poor little ones..
2 pix attached, they are from April but no changes since then really. If there is growth it is almost impossible to tell. Kickstand has a little hook thing on the end of her left front foot, right front leg is still part of an arm, not much but something. Tank still has the pointy little triangle nubs coming out & they seem to get thicker but not really any longer. Maybe one day they will start to grow in length. LOL
Thanks for the laugh, no offense taken whatsoever :p it is funny, I'm just glad they are mine and I can give them a good home.
Lacey~ Thanks for the comments on the set up, it is very pleasing to watch them in their paradise, one of these days I will figure out a way to join them :D It seems like a fun place to hang out~ Christine

Attachments

• Tank 41409.jpg
    Tank 41409.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Kickstand 40109.jpg
    Kickstand 40109.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 167

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Christine,

You have a truly beautiful setup and axies, Well done.

2os4sds

Reaction score
Very nice tank,and your axies look happy and healthy.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1