Hatchling with bent-under tail

Heather at HMSG

Reaction score
Country
England
I have 10 hatchlings - all eating well. Nine appear totally normal, while little bobby-sox(!) below has a deformed tail.....I have a picture (at 5 days from hatching):
picture.php

A few siblings had no gills & didn't survive a day; several that didn't hatch (or that I helped to hatch on Friday) appeared to have this mutation and have died, but this one is eating well, so hopefully will be 'fine'.

The curl illustrated appears to be symetrically underneath to the naked eye, but in the picture appears skewed to one side - not sure whether it is though.

Anyone seen this before?

Heather

ps - a couple of head pics are in my gallery - same age

Last edited:
Great pictures -- did you take them with a microscope? A few of mine have died inexplicably, but none appear to have a bent tail. Maybe it got squashed in the post :happy:. I love your axie tanks btw

Great pictures -- did you take them with a microscope?

Yup - a super bit of kit bought from Lidl just before Christmas - £49 less a few pence - extraordinary value now we've worked out how to use it!

We briefly put the weee axi in one of those microscope slides with a dimple in it - it is shorter than the rest, & fitted easily. We also have several head shots showing spots & base of gill(s). I think there is only one gill arm & two pre-gill stubs, but may be wrong.

There is huge interest from our pupils, & the more we can work them in to the curriculum the better IMO, as I will obviously need to find space for more tanks!

Strangely, I have also been having some success breeding guppies.......totally coincidental.......!

Heather

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back